Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering heaviness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2004, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
steering heaviness

I've got three hundred miles on an 04 e55 and find the steering quite nice, even a little light at speeds up to 30-40, but when going around cloverleafs or highway curves of thirty or more degrees, the wheel requires a signficantly greater pull, with the feeling that if I would let go, it would spring back. It's much heavier. I wondered if others have that impression? tire pressure is 37 all around, in comfort or sport 2 suspension.Is it a software or intrinsic steering geometry issue, or is just me.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55, F550, S600 Ducati 999
Originally Posted by tendons
I've got three hundred miles on an 04 e55 and find the steering quite nice, even a little light at speeds up to 30-40, but when going around cloverleafs or highway curves of thirty or more degrees, the wheel requires a signficantly greater pull, with the feeling that if I would let go, it would spring back. It's much heavier. I wondered if others have that impression? tire pressure is 37 all around, in comfort or sport 2 suspension.Is it a software or intrinsic steering geometry issue, or is just me.
Unfortunately it is the steering, not you.
Old 06-30-2004, 02:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To me this seems like a software issue. The steering has a tendency to "tighten up" and cause a lot of understeer in hard turns.

The steering takes getting used to, since you'd like to have a slightly linear increase in effort required for greater steering angles. In the E55, just as you apex a turn the effort needed increases dramatically seemingly out of nowhere. In comparison, the steering of an SL55 seems totally controlled and balanced.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:38 AM

E55
Originally Posted by tendons
I would like to try it out. What do you mean by `thrity or more degrees'?
Old 06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
I don't even notice the steering aspect. I just drive and smile.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:53 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Corvette, 04 BMW M3 (Wife's car), 04 Mercedes E55.
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
I don't even notice the steering aspect. I just drive and smile.
Same here
Old 06-30-2004, 09:18 PM

steering etc.

dwell, yes, i do smile, but I could smile a bit more. On the other hand, going slowly the variable ratio is really nice, and almost as quick as the bmw active steering.