Sponsored by:

Head Unit Replacement - W211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Head Unit Replacement - W211

Hey guys... I know this is discussed in various places on this Forum but I find the information difficult to digest. I've done a little work going through the threads and doing some homework and it appears as though there are now plug/play replacements for the COMAND unit (I have the HK stereo). There are a few adapters required but it seems we should be able to get the full functionality back from the steering wheel functions and also retain the factory amp/speakers. I found the unit below through my research. Does anybody have any experience with this unit or other recommendations? I have a friend who is pretty handy with install work and I am hoping to keep it simple enough for him to do the work. Thanks.
https://avinusa.com/mercedes-benz-e-...w211-w219.html
Old 05-04-2019, 05:06 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 280 Likes on 231 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I would do something else. No doubt you have found my install thread (in my signature). I give my opinion of avin and also the adapter they make you buy separately to interface with the fibre optic. Avin build the adapter into some of their head units but not all.

I would approach it from a different angle. If you want decent sound quality / volume then it is best to replace the HK amp, run RCA's and rewire in the trunk. Then you can use any unit either for the w211 or universal with a fitting kit. I just ran the speakers from my pioneer unit and the sub from an infinity amp in the stock location. I wished I never used the avin most adapter.
Old 05-04-2019, 10:02 PM

Received 137 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
I just finished the xtrons install actually. Everything working fine, steering wheel controls and stock amp/speakers etc. I'm trying to get my layout and apps all straightened how I like them now, a little time consuming haha.

I can give you all the details I can a little later. Do you have any specific questuins?
Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 AM

2005 E55
Okay, so the xtrons will keep steering wheel controls and all factory spears/amp, etc. Install isn't bad just takes some figuring out, tw2's write up is very helpful to reference.
If you go the xtrons route buy buy it here:
Amazon Amazon
- Pretty much the same unit as the avtron one you posted except $60 less. This is also $65 less than what xtrons has it posted for on their own site.
Amazon Amazon
- Fiber adapter
Amazon Amazon
- You will need an antenna and adapter if you want stereo. This thing is garbage though. I ran it up underneath the center speaker cover on the dashboard (along with the gps unit) and it picks up one single channel while sitting in my garage. I will report back how it is on the road. When installed I even lifted it out of the car to the roof, got a little more fuzzy stations but overall no good (from my garage while testing at least).
Amazon Amazon
- Radio adaptor if you get an external antenna with a standard antenna plug. This has the correct end that's used on the android units and a generic antenna female.
Amazon Amazon
- Wiring harness. This thing was garbage, it had a bad power splice on it that was causing the unit to turn on and off, BUT the actual unit included multiple harnesses that would work they all have the same wiring just differen plug types (and none of them work on the E55 any ways you have to cut and splice all the wires you use so it really doesn't matter). The only reason I'd recommend this is the extended can bus wires and a plug that can be made to work on our can bus harness on the passenger side. It wasn't the exact plug type but the pins were in the right spots. A little handy work with a razor had it fitting perfect making good contact. Also, after seeing the chinese wire harness quality it may be good to have a spare. After I found the bad power splice on the I cut the 5 wire it uses off (power/ground/acc/canh/canl) and just spliced them onto one of the other harnesses it came with and problem solved. You can also just get a can bus plug from a junk yard like tw2 did in his write-up and use the harnesses it comes with.

The unit comes with a GPS piece, built in mic, aux inputs cables, and USB input cables. You can also buy TPMS stuff, back up cam, etc to hook up. I bought an external mic not knowing one was built in to it and ended up not using the one I bought.

The only issue I'm having right now is a thump from the sub when the unit shuts off. (Kind of excessive thump at that). I'll figure something out about that or if any one else has any ideas they can chime in. I've read about delayed power off to the amp, etc. I'm also playing with the shut down settings on the unit because if the unit, if you shut it off with the power button on the unit itself before turning the key off it doesn't thump. Anyways, I'll figure it out and report back. Other than that it's standard android OS. A little basic, music player sucks. Download power amp, and what ever launcher you prefer. If you're handy with android you can do tons of stuff. I was using a tablet mounted to the CD changed spot running an "automate" routine I had built to automatically open torque and a music player overlay/etc. Getting everything set up how you want it takes a little time but the options are endless.

Anyways goodluck let me know if you need any info.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:18 AM

2005 E55
Got the thump sorted. Unit was hard shutting down/killed power instead of doing g a shutdown cycle when it sees acc go away. I had B+ hooked up to a bad sorce, no equipment issues just my fault. All good now.

I tried to use the pink wire in the oem head unit plug which was showing constant 12V source. The xtrons guide says to use the red and yellow wire, I used that for the five optic decoder and figured since there are two constant 12v sources I'd put one on each wire that needed it. Now I think the factory unit was 24V and that pink was -12V and made everything wonky. Just guessing, snipped that and out put it on the red/yellow with the decoder. Works perfect now.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:41 AM

2006 E55 AMG
I really appreciate the responses and I wish I understood them more... final question on this... anybody have a shop near Costa Mesa, CA that they can recommend who already knows how to do this stuff? I am happy to pay a premium to drop the car off and pick it up with everything dialed.
Old 06-22-2019, 01:15 AM

2006 E55 AMG
Hey guys... so I am still at this and looking for the route with the least brain damage... the thing I care most about is being able to go hands free and use my iPhone and if possible even use the steering wheel controls though that is not a must. I have an '06 and found this little wire coupling thing in my glove box... any thoughts what this means or what product I can buy in order to use Bluetooth to connect? Thanks!

Old 06-22-2019, 05:28 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Update... I am having the wiring and bluetooth puck installed at Rocco's Auto Tech in Costa Mesa. The 2006 unfortunately is not pre-wired so it is a bit pricey.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
I got an aftermarket pioneer touch screen head unit, Infiniti amp, steering wheel control unit and wiring done at a shop for the equivalent of less than US$1000. Full functionality, iphone android, Bluetooth, USB whatever you like. These stock systems are difficult to integrate with and expensive.
Old 06-23-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
broom
Great information as always...I am in the process of planning out an audio upgrade as well so this is good stuff, thank you all fellas.

What about this head unit?

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...ml#post6004431
Old 06-23-2019, 11:52 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
broom
Here's another thread that seems to be loaded with info...forgive me if you've already seen it...

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-pics-txt.html
Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 AM

2006 E55 AMG
No doubt it is cheaper to just change out the head unit... I just don't like the look and am on a mission to keep everything wonderfully stock. I used the system yesterday and it was wonderful... the Harmon Kardon puck gave great sound quality... much better than my Sirius sound. The phone functionality was great and it was nice to be able to use the steering wheel buttons. My only complaints are I've been told there is a little background noise by people on the other end of the line... wondering if this is normal or anybody has comments on noise when using the car microphone and if this is normal. Also, there is a slight hiss (I think from the Aux channel but I need to test it) that is inaudible once the music is on but I want to check on that as well. By the way, regarding the price, most of it was parts.
Old 06-25-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Sorry you spent $tealer coin.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...b-adapter.html

Probably need a filter/supressor https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Al7KlV...ion_guide.html

Originally Posted by The Law
No doubt it is cheaper to just change out the head unit... I just don't like the look and am on a mission to keep everything wonderfully stock. I used the system yesterday and it was wonderful... the Harmon Kardon puck gave great sound quality... much better than my Sirius sound. The phone functionality was great and it was nice to be able to use the steering wheel buttons. My only complaints are I've been told there is a little background noise by people on the other end of the line... wondering if this is normal or anybody has comments on noise when using the car microphone and if this is normal. Also, there is a slight hiss (I think from the Aux channel but I need to test it) that is inaudible once the music is on but I want to check on that as well. By the way, regarding the price, most of it was parts.

Last edited by Pmarino; 06-25-2019 at 01:34 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:50 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08 E350
Can you explain in detail how you got rid of the thump sound??? I'm having that same problem. I replaced my comand unit with a pioneer avh a few months ago. Everything works great except I'm getting the same issue. When i switch off the engine, I get that loud thump sound! Can you explain how you got rid of this-- step by step?
Old 07-05-2019, 01:57 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08 E350
I live in the OC too... I never found a Dealer/Car Stereo shop that could do it for a reasonable amount of money. One place wanted 1400 bucks! I wasn't willing to spend the money, so I ended up doing it myself. I spent about 500 bucks. Here's the company I used for wiring harness etc I brought a Pioneer AVH headunit.
.com%2F&redir_token=8dVIX96XSC0vqjyorTi9Au5QxkB8MTU2MjM5MDYwNkAxNTYyMzA0MjA2

Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e280
Headunit and engine

Hey guys, I just bought a 2006 e classe 280 and I want to put in a w211 e55 kompressor engine is it possible, also about the headunit and the dashboard can I put one from w212?
Old 02-16-2020, 01:49 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Ahmed Nadem
Hey guys, I just bought a 2006 e classe 280 and I want to put in a w211 e55 kompressor engine is it possible, also about the headunit and the dashboard can I put one from w212?
Yes you can put an E55 engine and transmission in. And no for the w212 parts, anything is possible but just save yourself heaps of time and money and just buy an E55. Swaps are rarely worth it.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 e280
Thanks dude, but it's because where I live I can't import a car older than 5 years counting from 2020...so it's the only choice I have, and i think it's pretty easy, other than that is there some other stuff I should change, because I think there will some incompatibility issues no?
Old 02-17-2020, 12:46 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Engine, transmission, ECU, wiring harness, TCU, same diff ratio and a whole pile of coding should get the job done. The mechanicals is easy. The electronics is the issue. Of course there are the brakes, exhaust and suspension that should also be upgraded. I would highly recommend waiting to buy a faster car instead.