Sponsored by:

E63 light blue smoke

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e63 amg
E63 light blue smoke

Hey everyone, I recently bought a 07 E63 amg with 190k kms on.
After a few months i took it for a service at a local shop in my town (not dealership) and after the service the car was smoking blue on idle at working temp, the previous service was done by mb prior to my service and on the quote the oil used was mb 10w40. When i serviced it they used 5w40 which is recommended.

Personally i think the viscosity is too low for South African temperatures but i may be wrong.

To add, the cats was removed by the previous owner and I removed the resonator when i bought it.

I can't really put a finger on the smell of the smoke but it smells rich and like burning oil.

It also uses a bit oil when I'm driving long distance.

At the moment it's standing with a left front airmatic shock not lifting.

I am suspecting valve stem seals but some input would be appreciated, for I am sad now.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:12 AM

Received 91 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 E 300 Coupe and 2019 GLS 400
The oil can be consumed through the valve seals, piston rings, rear main seal, even with a working PCV the intake sucks a huge amount of oil. As per AMG, the M156 can consume up to 1 liter/ 1000km, anything more requires repair.
Running catless causes fuel smell.
You can conduct a pressure test for Airmatic through SDS, or use the water-soap method.

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Mercedes CLS 55 AMG
Originally Posted by Gert0611
Hey everyone, I recently bought a 07 E63 amg with 190k kms on.
After a few months i took it for a service at a local shop in my town (not dealership) and after the service the car was smoking blue on idle at working temp, the previous service was done by mb prior to my service and on the quote the oil used was mb 10w40. When i serviced it they used 5w40 which is recommended.

Personally i think the viscosity is too low for South African temperatures but i may be wrong.

To add, the cats was removed by the previous owner and I removed the resonator when i bought it.

I can't really put a finger on the smell of the smoke but it smells rich and like burning oil.

It also uses a bit oil when I'm driving long distance.

At the moment it's standing with a left front airmatic shock not lifting.

I am suspecting valve stem seals but some input would be appreciated, for I am sad now.
Eh, the viscosity is fine. I run 0w-40 A3/B4 Castrol european which is basically the real German oil from BP. No smoke issues in high Florida heat.

You're looking at rings or valve guides, probably. Should be able to see errors in STAR.

But, before you do anything, dump out the oil and put in your own from bottles where you know what you're running. Maybe they put in 0w-25 and didn't tell you.

Last edited by equitiesguy; 05-14-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
It's most likely valve seats or piston rings, where the oil is getting passed and burning in the combustion chamber. And we see it as blue smoke.
The bottom line is somewhere it's burning light oil. But don't panic, as it could also be oil residue in the air intake plenum.
If my car sits for an extended period of time, it will puff out blue smoke on start up. But for right know I wouldn't worry to much about it.
Unless it's belching out lots of blue smoke.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 e63 amg
Thanks for the quick reply guys, appreciate it.

I think I'll take your advice and replace the oil.
Weird thing is, i called the mb dealership in my town and they said the recommended oil is 15w40. But multiple threads online recommended the 5w, same as the shop i took it to.

What is your recommendation on oil apart from oem? And is there a high mileage viscosity perhaps.

Secondly on the air suspension, I'm thinking of removing the shock because i can't find a leak on top with soap, it made a whistling noise when i dropped the jack down though, so i suspect the bellow.
Is there a diy kit available or do i have to pay a arm for a replacement, i saw a video on YouTube where they replaced some o-rings, do they seal off the air or are they for dust protection only?

My apologies for the long threads
Old 05-14-2019, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Unfortunately there isn't a DIY fix it kit available. The entire unit needs to be replaced with either a factory one, or a re-manufactured one from Arnott Industries.
And the factory recommended oil for the E63 is either 0W-40 or 5W-40, as indicated in your owners manual.
The following users liked this post:
arnottdoug (05-14-2019)