Well! *That* was interesting! R350 story

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Well! *That* was interesting! R350 story

Got called upon to assist with troubleshooting a 2006 R350. Electrics were acting wonky (ESP errors, CEL on and off, headlights turning off individually, wipers working after turning off the key, etc). I ran a scan and numerous CANBUS and module errors came up. I went to check the battery under the seat and noted a small amount of water in the tray. Asked if any water leaked into the car in the last rainstorm and was informed that, yes, quite a bit of water poured out of the upper control panel and onto the floor during the other day's deluge. They had been sopping up water on the passenger side carpet. Hmmm, a clue. I lift the carpet and start to unbolt the floor panel and then…is that sizzling and crackling I’m hearing?

S**T! S**T! S**T! Smoke is coming out from under the floorboard!!! I hollered for a socket to unbolt the ground strap and of course a socket and ratchet were nowhere to be found! Minutes later manage to piece together a spark plug socket and ratchet and remove the ground lug under the seat. Whew! Finish pulling the floorboard and there must have been a gallon of water in there. ABS/SAM/whatever it was had sockets and connectors under water and the yaw sensor was definitely submerged. It appeared that the smoke was caused by a short between two power leads but I won’t know for sure until everything is dried out and put back together. Talked to the lady who inherited the vehicle from her late father and inquired did she ever see water leaking inside before? Why, yes. On several occasions. (Me: face palm). Told her husband to pull the modules, open them up, and try water displacing contact cleaner on the boards and the connectors and to call me when he is finished with it. Then, to see if the car can be put back on the road without too large an investment…at least the car didn’t burn to the ground….
The following users liked this post:
eFifty5AMG (06-27-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GL63 AMG, E55 AMG, C32 AMG, ML500
no offense but why is this in the AMG forum?
Old 06-26-2019, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,005 Likes on 781 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
None taken. This is where gear heads and my friends (but I repeat myself) hang out. I figure they can relate to this one...
Old 06-26-2019, 06:06 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Got called upon to assist with troubleshooting a 2006 R350. Electrics were acting wonky (ESP errors, CEL on and off, headlights turning off individually, wipers working after turning off the key, etc). I ran a scan and numerous CANBUS and module errors came up. I went to check the battery under the seat and noted a small amount of water in the tray. Asked if any water leaked into the car in the last rainstorm and was informed that, yes, quite a bit of water poured out of the upper control panel and onto the floor during the other day's deluge. They had been sopping up water on the passenger side carpet. Hmmm, a clue. I lift the carpet and start to unbolt the floor panel and then…is that sizzling and crackling I’m hearing?

S**T! S**T! S**T! Smoke is coming out from under the floorboard!!! I hollered for a socket to unbolt the ground strap and of course a socket and ratchet were nowhere to be found! Minutes later manage to piece together a spark plug socket and ratchet and remove the ground lug under the seat. Whew! Finish pulling the floorboard and there must have been a gallon of water in there. ABS/SAM/whatever it was had sockets and connectors under water and the yaw sensor was definitely submerged. It appeared that the smoke was caused by a short between two power leads but I won’t know for sure until everything is dried out and put back together. Talked to the lady who inherited the vehicle from her late father and inquired did she ever see water leaking inside before? Why, yes. On several occasions. (Me: face palm). Told her husband to pull the modules, open them up, and try water displacing contact cleaner on the boards and the connectors and to call me when he is finished with it. Then, to see if the car can be put back on the road without too large an investment…at least the car didn’t burn to the ground….
Wow crazy stuff! Thanks for sharing, I fear this one going to cost a bit.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:27 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Some people are a touch clueless aren't they. Thanks for the story.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 379 Likes on 322 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
We come across water intrusion all the time at the shop. It is amazing what electrical components will start doing as a reaction !!
Old 06-27-2019, 05:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 105 Likes on 99 Posts
CLS 55 AMG E500 99 ML320
How does it get in? My wife's E seems to have water sloshing around in the trunk lid. No idea how it got in there. If it would ever stop raining I'd investigate.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:54 AM

Received 139 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
How does it get in? My wife's E seems to have water sloshing around in the trunk lid. No idea how it got in there. If it would ever stop raining I'd investigate.
I think the gasket or seal on the third break light on the trunk lid has a tenancy to start letting water in. I havent had the issue myself but I think I've come across discussions on that a couple times.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:40 AM

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
04 E55 AMG BLK/BLK(MyDD), 06 CLK 500 (wife's) 07 ML500, 2012 C300(son's)
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist
W211 has water in the trunk or the lid its self? Check the plastic cover around the plate on the lid, leaf blower will usually help dislodge it.

Most likely culprits for the front foot wells are clogged cowl drains that overflow water through/around the firewall. Usually around the cabin filter (the W202 has done this as well as my B5.5 Passat) Also check sunroof drains, door weather stripping, weep holes in doors. My 2nd gen EB likes to leak at the upper right windshield gasket, come down the A-pillar and douse my fuse box The W209 leaked on the battery tray and rotted it. Water intrusion.....My nemesis

Last edited by Pmarino; 06-27-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-27-2019, 11:00 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by racinwarrior
no offense but why is this in the AMG forum?
Because our cars also have components under the passenger floor board that would greatly suffer in case of water incursion.

For good measure, replace "R350" with "E55" and all will feel right again
Old 06-28-2019, 10:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 691 Likes on 503 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
Good story, but I have to disagree with your last sentence "at least the car didn’t burn to the ground….".
"Too bad the car didn't burn to the ground" might've been the way I'd phrase it. Would've been the best thing to happen to it, given that now it's a money pit with punji sticks at the bottom.