W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECU "Tune Jail" Like its the 2002? But Why?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M3
ECU "Tune Jail" Like its the 2002? But Why?

As a perspective E55 AMG buyer Ive been doing alot of research over the last week and am a bit shocked to find that aside from the Speedriven Standalone ECU, to make changes to a tune (from any of the vendors for any reason) you have to go through an email circle jerk. Now these cars seem to run super consistent numbers both on the dyno and at the track, and I could be way off in thinking this is a shortcoming or a need, so I hope a few people will give me some perspective. Its just been 10-15 years and 3-4 vehicles since Ive had to email tunes back and forth to make any change, reminds me of sending off prom's back in the good old days. And makes me feel a bit like I'm 11.

Thanks
Jay
Old 07-23-2019, 07:32 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
From what I understand, the tune files are altered stock files which are VIN specific for the car in question. They are also based on dyno tuning with various mods so they are loosely tailored to your individual circumstances with a margin of safety for between car differences. However some tuners have handheld devices you can store several tunes on so once you have them you can change them as often as you like without any circle jerking. For most people it is a 1-2 time event and you are done. For me I got a pulley and tune. I will get a "re-tune" when I get longtubes and that will probably be it forever unless I go for a 80mm pulley sometime. If you are really into trying dozens of different combinations of pulleys, headers, throttle bodies etc then yes you are in for a lot of emails.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
I have a Eurocharged tune on my E63. I had them do a re-tune, at not cost to me, and it was effortless. It took hours from when I emailed them to when I had the new tune on my handheld and ready to go.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 392 Likes on 284 Posts
E55 C63
The Flash tunes on these vehicles are excellent. So good that we have been at the dyno before with tuners only able to squeeze 4-5 hp out of the flash file. You do always have the option of doing remote dyno tuning aswell. For the price of the tunes on the 55k cars, and the fact that we offer free re-flashes for life, It doesnt get much better than that. We also have a 24hr turnaround on flash files. and as TW2 mentioned, these files are built specifically for your modifications.