Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coding problems retrofitting options 551 ATA and 882 Interior motion sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 10:14 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W211 E55 AMG
Unhappy Coding problems retrofitting options 551 ATA and 882 Interior motion sensor

Hey guys,

Has any one here ever tried to retrofit options 551 ATA and 882 Interior motion sensor? I am looking for some help as I am getting an error when trying to code the rear SAM.

At first I set both of the 551 and 882 options to PRESENT in the CGW, and then tried to set the National version of ATA function in the rear SAM. But after selecting the country and options in the rear SAM (i.e. USA with buzzer etc) (I tried every selection), after pressing F2 I get a message saying "The coding could not be carried out" "Additional information: EDW-Kodierung nicht erfolgreich" (Translation: Coding unsuccessful).

In the rear SAM developer settings I found the actual values for each of the EDW settings (Parameter Block 11..17 / A..H) it said for each of them "Lesen EDW - Paramater Block 11 / = Länderkodierung nicht identifizierbar" (Translation: Country code not identifiable). When I went into variant coding in developer settings I could see some of the EDW settings had been populated, for example in "VCD_EDW_Para_Block1" all of the settings were set somehow (I have attached a translated picture), but then when I went into "VCD_Buzzer_Lautstaerke" to set the buzzer alarm volume the setting was originally listed as "----" and I had a message saying one of the settings was incorrect and to set it properly, when I tried to change the volume I got the "coding has been carried out" message but I don't think the settings actually saved.

I am not sure how the coding works, but I wonder if it checks the country code in the car somewhere and then has some presets it will upload for that particular country, and as my car is Australian (I remember finding in DAS somewhere my car is selected as Australian rather than rest of world), perhaps it doesn't have the right settings for Australia? I was tempted to switch the country code to rest of world, but I am apprehensive because I am not sure what it will do.

I have read that some W211's need a new rear SAM to retrofit these options, and then I believe you would install it and code it via Initial Startup. The rear SAM in my car is 211 545 35 01, and it's strange because I can't find this SAM when I search for it in the EPC. When I search my VIN in the EPC it says my car needs or should have the 211 545 67 01 rear SAM. Before I started this I managed to find another E55 in Australia with these options from the factory, and the rear SAM in the EPC for that car was identical to the one suited for my car. Also when searching in the EPC for the "211076" VIN it seems that the only code that differs between the rear SAM's is whether it is designated as an avantgarde or not, the rear SAM's don't seem to differ between avantgarde cars based on individual options ordered from Mercedes.

The annoying thing is that I found this line in the control unit version for my rear SAM (211 545 35 01) "Version (internal) SAMH_mit_EDW_W211_AJ03X_Diag_8101" which means SAM with EDW (EDW is German for burglary alarm apparently). So maybe it has the capacity to be coded and I'm not sure how to do it, or it had the capacity to be coded with the ATA but as it has already been coded it would need to be reset, or you would just order a new rear SAM.

Wondering if any one else has any information or ideas about how to do this correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

Rear SAM EDW Settings

Some EDW actual values in the rear SAM all set as no entry / deleted content.