Sponsored by:

Timing retard during deceleration and shifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 09:27 PM

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Timing retard during deceleration and shifts

I've been doing some basic ODBII datalogging with a BlueDriver ODBII guage and noticed that my timing is getting retarded upon deceleration particularly during the 2->1 shift at or just below 1000 rpm. I've also noticed timing retard under 1/4 throttle light acceleration on the 1->2 shift, 2->3 shift, and sometimes the 3->4 shift.

From what I understand with the ODBII loggers the timing for the Mercedes shows negative numbers for timing advance as the number approaches 0 it is the computer pulling timing. Lately during the deceleration I'm seeing my timing at -1 to almost 7 degrees. It might be normal but as I'm trying to learn more about the car I was curious if anyone else has had similar experiences.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:39 PM

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
It's normal. Dont worry about timing at part throttle and shift points, it changes all the time based on various parameters. Worry about WOT in gear. If you are getting knock itll look like an ekg. If it's nice and flat your tune us good. Use the chart function of torque for timing, and only select timing. If you pick more than one thing the logging slows down too significantly.