Sponsored by:

Trunk hesitates to open, making creaking/groaning noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 12:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
w211 e63, fisker karma, v8 e30
Trunk hesitates to open, making creaking/groaning noise

Hey, I picked up this E55 not too long ago. When you go to open the trunk it hesitates a few times and does not open all the way unless using force. It makes quite a bit of noise. On top of that it is not completely lined up flush on the driver-side. I'm wondering if it's some sort of trunk motor going bad? I hit some of the bearings in the back with wd40/PB blast which seemed to help with the noise, but not with it opening and lining up on the body-lines. The car is a clean title and hasn't been in an accident. Curious if anyone has had this problem in the past and what they had to do to fix it. The springs are in great condition, it doesn't look like anything is broken, maybe just stuck?
Old 08-12-2019, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 981 Likes on 763 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Perform an advanced search under the term "Trunk lid" and user "Konigstiger". He has plenty of information out there on the trunk (and everything else). You can reduce the search results by only requesting returns from the W211 AMG and W211 subforums further down the advanced search page.

Advanced search is located in the drop down menu under "Threads" in the upper right of the page...

Last edited by bbirdwell; 08-12-2019 at 04:00 PM.