Sponsored by:

PROJECT S430 to S55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz S430 and S420
PROJECT S430 to S55

I know this is the wrong spot but the S55 forum is pretty dead, and you guys on the W211 forum are more active and mechanically inclined. I'm in the process of doing a S55 NA swap. I have one small issue where I need the SCN codes for an S55 NA so I can program it into my TCM. Below is the information that should fill you in on my project and why I'm doing it. Right now I need anyone who happens to have access to a W220 S55 NA and a STAR computer. I know it's a tall order but it's the last piece to this puzzle. i'll be attaching all my research information that should help the next person who hopes to take on a similar project.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
PROJECT S430 to S55
Hello everyone. I'm sure you've seen these posts many times by many hopeful souls trying to get that extra 80 hp. I've begun the project of swapping my 4.3 engine to the 5.5 NA. I got the engine and transmission for $219, and will be doing all of the work myself along with some friends. I know many of you will probably wonder why I wouldn't just sell my 430 and buy a 55, and the reasons are as follows:

1- I am a college student running two Benzes. They're both V8 S-classes, and I am grateful to have them.
2- I am very emotionally attached, and don't want to get rid of either (attachment issues. I know).
3- I don't have room for a third car.
3- I crave the speed.
4- The 430 is my daily and the 420 is my future project (S600 AMG build).
5- I have a very limited college budget as I am a UT Austin student "HOOK EM". I don't need ABC as it is too expensive even for a DIY mechanic like me, and I don't want coil-overs because I am not a pleb. Airmatic is perfect for me.
6- This whole project is gonna cost me a weekend, and like 500 bucks which includes stuff I was already due for like spark plugs and mounts.
7- I am potentially the slowest in my crew right now and I don't like that.

For those who are interested. My plans for this car is to hopefully do my own custom AMG build with my parts and options of choice. 600 interior, AMG brakes, retro fit all the options i'm missing if possible, and maybe a custom diamond leather stitching like the newer Mercs, etc. I got the car from an insurance auction for very cheap with 72k miles, but It has literally no options except maybe the light beige interior which kinda looks like the designo silver except it uses the cheap leather stuff. It really pisses me off how somebody walked into the Mercedes dealer 16 years ago and literally skipped the entire options list. He didn't even get the wooden steering wheel. What I ended doing so far is installed the AMG cosmetics kit like the wheels and the bumper kit. Parts are whatever hits the junkyard first. I'm still waiting on the AMG exhaust and all that stuff.

Anyways back to the project. I have the ECU figured out. I do have access to star and know how to swap chips so that the EIS would work. Everything else is bolt on and should be straight forward except the TCU. I cant find any information out there about what chip I would need to swap for the EIS to communicate with the TCU. I was thinking about whether it would be okay to just run the 55 tranny on a 430 computer or if the shift points are gonna be wrong and the tranny is gonna run like garbage. If someone out here is knowledgeable and can tell me what chip I need to swap that would be awesome.

Thank you guys for any feedback, and interest in the project. I will be updating this thread and hopefully provide info to the next soul to try and attempt this.
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
Thank you for the feedback. I forgot to mention that the donor car is a 2001 E55. We have tried the TCU and it didn't work since the car thinks it's an E class when it's actually an S class which has anti theft in the shiftier which the E class doesn't have. Right now we're looking into doing some version coding which ill share that info once I figure it all out.

So looks like I'm gonna be doing some SCN coding. I would like to know if anyone has knowledge of what the SCN coding is for a S55 AMG NA or if possible a chart somewhere with the list of all of those codes for Mercedes Benz models that they can attach to this thread.

Old 09-24-2019, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Ok.
Old 09-24-2019, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Sounds like a cool project. Post some pics of your project.
Old 09-25-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
Good luck with the project. Sounds like fun. Post lots of pics. The w220 is a wonderful car.