Fuel Smell Outside on Rear Right Hand Side of the Car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
Question Fuel Smell Outside on Rear Right Hand Side of the Car

Hello all,

So last week, I have finally pulled the trigger and purchased an E55 (117,000km, 2005), a beast that seems too well priced for what it is.

Since buying it, I have noticed one thing:

While the car is fine on shorter drives, a much longer drive (2-3hrs) causes an intense fuel smell to emanate from the real-right hand side of the car (on the exterior). Checked the fuel filler cap, and it is well pressurized hence it looks sealed. Once I come back to sit in the car the next morning, I can smell fuel inside.

I've heard about the fuel leak issues, and since my car is a Japanese import, and I do not live in the States, I don't think this is highly doable from my, I cannot get this fixed at the dealer for free (official dealer asked me for ~$4,000; LOL).

I have attached pictures of what the fuel pump and filter look like when I lifted the seat, and I suspect the leak is coming from the fuel pump. I've been quoted ~$100 in labor and ~$500 for parts (pump, filter, and seals) from a 3rd party MB authorised garage.

My question is: Do you think it makes sense to:

1. Replace only the pump where I see traces of fluids (picture attached)
2. Replace the filter and the pump (more costly, however more comprehensive fix. Is it worth it or not, considering we are not changing fuel tank
3. Replace the fuel tank, pump AS WELL as the fuel tank (an extra ~1,000 here)

Thanks!

RHS: fuel pump LHS: Fuel Filter

Fuel pump (see yellowish traces which is where the fuel is gathering after long drives. Doesn't explain why it comes outside of inside first though

Fuel filter (correct me if I'm wrong and mixed up with previous pic)
Old 09-27-2019, 10:18 AM

E55 AMG
Duplicate post, please ignore

Duplicate post, please ignore
Old 09-28-2019, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
OP there is a valve that lets air out of the tank as it is filled with gas. Passenger side. I had one stick open that made for many stinkies.
Old 09-28-2019, 03:45 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by JohnLane
OP there is a valve that lets air out of the tank as it is filled with gas. Passenger side. I had one stick open that made for many stinkies.
Thanks. Am not too familiar. Where exactly is this located and how can it be accessed?
Old 09-29-2019, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 455 Likes on 339 Posts
222 S-65
Originally Posted by e55aed
Thanks. Am not too familiar. Where exactly is this located and how can it be accessed?
On the hoist. Seems like there is a fender liner that gets pulled. Follow the hose up from the tank by the filler neck.