W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different diameter rear tires = ABS light. Any fix?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E55
Different diameter rear tires = ABS light. Any fix?

Just got the winter tires setup mounted an balanced on my 2006 E55. Fronts are 235/40r18 and rears are 255/45r18 (didn't notice rears were taller until after i purchased them). Driving home from the tire shop my ABS light came on with an ABS/ESP error. I assume this is because the car thinks the rear tires are spinning faster than the fronts due to the larger diameter. Any way to adjust this tolerance in STAR or similar? Or do I now have to buy another set of rear tires that match the fronts?
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2007 E63 Wagon
Rears are spinning slower with the larger diameter but you may be able to return the tires since they’re still so new. 35 series to a 45 series is a huuuuge difference.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:41 AM

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
I have an issue with mine as well, I don't believe quite as bad as yours (no ABS light) but my cruise control is jerky and MPH is off by about 3 at 80. I found an old thread that described the same thing resolved by putting the correct ratio tires on.

I have dug through star pretty thoroughly and not been able to correct it. The only tire size input I found is in the ECU, and I selected the front and rears to sizes that are very very close to the diameter of what I have on and it made zero difference as far as I can tell with both my MPH offset as well as the cruise control jerkyness.

I've gone through the instrument cluster and tranny in STAR as well and not found anything that looks like it would resolve the issue unfortunately. If there is a way to do it machack (look in the star sticky if you want to get ahold of him) might know how but he's gonna require a handsome fee I'm sure.