W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange E55 issue at highway speeds - Torque Converter?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 G63
Post Strange E55 issue at highway speeds - Torque Converter?

Hello everyone, have a bit of a strange issue.

Have a E55 120,000miles, the issue I am experiencing is during an overtake at highway speeds. 5-4 downshift at moderate throttle the car feels like is hesitates and or feels like something in the drive-line is temporarily binding.
Would also be inclined in saying performance doesnt feel the greatest anymore. Car has had some work done to it which I will list below. This is just a recent development.

Couple other symptoms which I will note that may lead me to think it may be a torque converter issue would be, on real cold mornings it feels like the torque converter will not disengage - the car will lug over at 800rpm while driving down my street. Once transmission is warm its not an issue.

I am starting to think the stator in the converter is failing.

I have taken the valvebody apart, done a trans service, nothing really abnormal noticed.

Work Done:
VRP 76MM Pulley
Colder Spark Plugs
K&N Filters
Trans Service
RaceIQ Tune
010 IC Pump
VRP Heat Exchanger

Car performed well in stock form as well as with all the performance modifications up until the last week or so.

Last edited by number_one_c55; 12-09-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 CLS55
If your maybe thinking about a High stall converter, i have one listed. Upd 3000 high stall. $550 shipped.
Old 12-09-2019, 01:45 PM

2017 G63
Appreciate the reply but I’m in Canada where our money is on par with Monopoly money in terms of value.

I have a S55 that I’ll part out that May donate it’s converter to the cause.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 149 Likes on 105 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Do you have a scan tool? I'd first look at things like fuel trims, rule out an issue with the engine. I had thought possibly I had a torque converter issue as it felt like it was locking up more than it should, but think I have narrowed it down to fueling issues when the car is under heavier load (i.e. the scenarios you outlined), looked at my fuel trims and they are nearing 15% long term which is way out of range. I have newer IAT, front o2s, plugs are not that old, and no specific cylinders are showing as rough (which I would assumed would happen should I have a bad coil pack). Fuel pumps and filters done 2 years ago.

So basically I'm leaning towards a vacuum leak, and that might make sense for you as well if it just showed up out of the blue. If I'm in comfort and give it moderate throttle from a stop, the torque converter slips like it should.

Following to see any updates!
Old 12-11-2019, 04:59 AM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
Good advice to check fuel trims always wise to keep an eye on them with a elm327 scanner which can be had for very little money and paired with an app on your smart phone.

The tune can be out of whack for LTFT (long term fuel trim) during light throttle or idle. Sometimes when you get email tune it need adjustment so if it's bad try reach out to raceiq for an updated one.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:04 PM

2017 G63
Originally Posted by PieRat
Good advice to check fuel trims always wise to keep an eye on them with a elm327 scanner which can be had for very little money and paired with an app on your smart phone.

The tune can be out of whack for LTFT (long term fuel trim) during light throttle or idle. Sometimes when you get email tune it need adjustment so if it's bad try reach out to raceiq for an updated one.
Hmm interesting, didnt even think about fuel trims. When I first got the car I had an issue where the manifold on drivers side was cracked. Removed it and had it welded up. Wonder if I have an exhaust leak pre primary 02 sensor. Were currently out of town will check once I'm back home with the car.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:05 PM

2017 G63
Sorry forgot to mention car also has 550cc injectors.
Old 12-12-2019, 11:08 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
We can make custom stall converters for you to match your power and mods, so that you keep the stall just under peak Torque. With our boosted cars, it is best to have the converter matched to your mods. We have been custom making Converters for the 722.6 for 8 years now. It was one of my favorite mods on my car!

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd