W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

No crank no start on e63 ??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2020 | 06:23 PM

1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Originally Posted by SICAMG
If it was my car I could care less about the miss fires as they may have been the cause of this problem. So let's look at the possible end result. Possible engine locked...possible.
If the starter is kicking out, and the engine refuses to turn over, it is either locked up ....or the starter is faulty regardless of any electrical issues I would want to know IF the engine is solid or not going by what the OP is stating.
Right there with you!

I think we should all have a quarantine Zoom/FaceTime chat so we can work on this all together real time.

I'm going batty with nothing to wrench on or physically make.
Old 03-21-2020 | 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Face time would be perfect !!! OP plops himself near the car and we go step by step.
0% of the time the problem is not being described correctly and we end up all over the place. I work in a dealer flat rate so time is money and speed is king !!!
Old 03-21-2020 | 08:52 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Your all over the map with this for no reason. Do this JUST so you can rule it out. I know you have dash lights on but just do this so you know for sure - do to these engines possible mechanical problems.
ONE... turn the engine over by hand at the crank bolt to see if it is locked up. If it rotates in BOTH directions, move to number two.
TWO .... Jack up the car safely, Jump the starter at the starter terminals and see if it cranks and than you can rule that out that it indeed turns the engine over and starter works.
Than start looking into electrical issues .
I don't think you're supposed to turn the engine in both directions as turning counter clockwise may have negative timing consequences, right?
Old 03-22-2020 | 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Correct but if it is hydro locked it will make -0- movement in one direction{ compression } and will move the other way only. He just has to turn it a little just so he knows it will move. If it does not....he has big problems. If it does move, jump the starter direct and see if she spins with out any ECU inputs at all....and it should turn over if the engine is solid.
At my shop this is a safer way to verify an engine problem before you start forcing the engine over. Again if it spins with the starter jumped, the engine is good to go, just chase the electrical aspects.
Also remember the OP is saying the starter kicks out and will not spin the engine. Big red flag right there. I wish him the best.
Old 03-22-2020 | 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 SL600
Originally Posted by funkadeli63
Hello Long story short..after dealing with a cel out of nowhere (after a snow storm?) the car randomly misfire and ran horrible when driving..but after turning it off it ran perfect once again till like 20 miles later...cel showed misfire of 3 cylinders on the drivers side bank and also that side camshaft sensor. I replaced the sensor as well as the crankshaft one..still misfire after 15-20 mins of driving ..so I decided to clean the maf sensors and I’ve also sprayed the IAT sensor that’s by the throttle body(just incAse that was an issue) well after putting everything back together the car didn’t start or crank. So I realized one of the maf has to be installed upside down. After doing that..the car still didn’t crank. I’ve check the battery and they’ve told me that out of 800 cold crank start it only had 150 and it was almost time to replace it anyways so I figured that was the issue..$180 buck later the car still didn’t crank..I’ve also check fuses,relays etc and it gives me the “ESP” not available message and also my obd2 says it can’t read the pcm? ...after breaking my head and watching videos all night for weeks trying to find a solution I’m wondering if any of you guys had dealt with this same issue or might have an answer to this nightmare!! I don’t know how it happened out of nowhere so now I have to fix the starting issue before I even begin to find out what’s wrong with the original issue.😫. Thanks so much for any input and any advice!

ps I can feel the starter relay clicking and I can hear the starter when we try to start the car but no crank .

thanks!
This sounds like the front Sam may have gotten water in it. I had similar problems with a wet Sam module. These don’t appreciate water at all, and with how tricky the cover is to install correctly can receive water quickly.
Old 05-06-2020 | 09:20 PM

2008 CLS 63 AMG
Did you get this or the misfires figured out?
Having some similar issues.
Old 05-07-2020 | 09:46 AM

09 E63
subscribed for an update
Old 08-25-2020 | 07:32 PM

08 e63 amg
So update about my car incAse someone is dealing with the same issue. I finally decided to bring it to a shop and today they think they narrow down the issue (they say they still need to do more test tomorrow) but they’re confident it gots to do with the modules ? I wonder if it’s my fuel pump module ? Since I couldn’t hear any noise coming from the pump . Has anyone dealt with something like these before ?
thanks
Old 08-27-2020 | 08:25 PM

08 e63 amg
So car is back and they’ve found a broken pin on the ecm (pin 41) and lots of corrosion on the harness . So they said only Mercedes can fix it because I need a new ecu and harness $2500+tax. I said hell I got nothing to lose so I removed the ecm and with a friend help we removed the broken pin out of the harness and found out there’s a few plugs with green on it. We also inspected the ecm and it looks fine internally. Besides the 1/4 pin left inside the plug (all other pins look great . I’m going to try to clean the harness connector with some electronic cleaner . My question is does anyone knows what pin 41 does ? Thanks. If anything I will order a new ecm or refurbished one, do I need to send it to Mercedes to get it tune and do they do that ? Thanks
Old 08-29-2020 | 07:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 e55 AMG
Hey that's great ! Better than an engine !

Last edited by SICAMG; 08-29-2020 at 10:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
funkadeli63 (08-29-2020)
Old 08-29-2020 | 07:42 AM

08 e63 amg
Hey that's great 1 Better than an engine !
thats correct! And luckily in a fb group some people have helped me out with options on what to do with that broken pin (solder,bypassing etc) on top of that eurocharged reached out to me and even helped me found a refurbished ecm .they also will transfer the stock tune from the old ecm to the new one for free If I decide to purchase their performance tune.(if not they’ll transfer and get the new ecm ready for a good price) So the car might be back running and with a performance tune for not even half of what Mercedes was charging.

but before that even happens I wanna make sure the harness is still good by spraying electronic cleaner into the corroded areas .