Sponsored by:

Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 11:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Exhaust Questions

Thinking of doing a coronavirus downtime exhaust mod.
Current setup: 2006 E55, stock exhaust with x-pipe in place of resonator
Goal: Louder, lower, grumblier (is that a word?)

I have a set of AMG-like tips, look the same as stock as in they're oval and staggered and have AMG stamped on them, however they are basically just some tips welded onto a Y-pipe like you see at the muffler shop.
I was initially thinking of just cutting the pipe just before the stock mufflers and welding on some flanges and then fabbing up some straight pipe w/ J-pipe to reduce drone with these tips and bolting them on. I would put flanges on the stock setup so I could bolt them on/off... whenever.
Essentially I would be able to go between straight pipe and stock with just a few bolts.

Then I started think about just putting some different mufflers in place of the stockers but not sure what to get.
The guy at the shop I'm using recommended some Magnaflows (P/N 11225) which is a SI/SO straight-through design.
I know the stock mufflers are SI/DO to the tips. Would I be causing any major issues by going from a SI/DO to SI/SO to essentially a Y-pipe with tips?
Don't think so, but I'm no exhaust expert. Not worried about any +/- 5hp or tq, if that's all I'm looking at.

Option 1: Straight pipe with a J-pipe to reduce droning, stock looking y-pipe tips

Option 2: Magnaflow SI/SO to stock looking y-pipe tips

Option 3: Another brand of muffler or different model of Mangaflow

Option 4: Not going to spend the money on Eisenmann or C63 take-offs

What do ya'll recommend?

LTH's coming soon, right after SGA valve body, just not until after the Coronapocalypse of 2020 is over with.

Last edited by Onespeed55; 03-19-2020 at 11:24 PM.
Old 03-20-2020, 12:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG
Sort the header and cat situation first and then play with your listed options. Your tone and volume changes drastically when you remove the stock manifolds/cats.
Old 03-20-2020, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 345 Likes on 296 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Why not just do the internal bypass on the mufflers. Work perfect for me and sounds great.
Old 03-20-2020, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
Why not just do the internal bypass on the mufflers. Work perfect for me and sounds great.
So I went with the Magnaflows, just welded on like normal with the AMG tips. Pretty cheap, basically just the cost of the mufflers and $80 labor.
Sounds good, low and plenty of sound without being obnoxious. Glad I didn't go straight pipe as that would be a little too much and I would have probably been undoing that next week.
I have my stock exhaust in the trunk, and I think you're right, I will probably gut those and see how that sounds and maybe move the Magnaflows over to the SL, or sell them.
Plenty of time to tinker over the next few weeks... haha!

Still planning on LTH but need to find a tuner so I can get a retune along with those. Just moved from SD to Seattle so still trying to find local sources for all this stuff, and this corona thing is kinda putting a damper on that.

Last edited by Onespeed55; 03-20-2020 at 09:31 PM.