Sponsored by:

W211 E63 Head bolt replacement DIY video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 07:58 PM

Received 94 Likes on 70 Posts
2007 E63 Amg
W211 E63 Head bolt replacement DIY video

After researching a lot on this forum and YouTube (thanks Tasos Moschatos) I decided to replace head bolts on my 2007 E63 AMG. I created a video How-To for future DIYers. Hope this video will help someone. In the video, I try to capture almost every step involved in the project as well as talk about unexpected nuances encountered along the way that might not be in other resources. HUGE THANKS to the forum community and special thanks to @6172crew for providing advise and timing tools.

My car is 2007 E63 AMG with 67K miles currently and is well maintained. I expected to see much rustier bolts, but they were just fine with few of them showing some surface rust. I think I could've leave them alone and the engine would survive a long time without replacement too. There is a thread on this forum where people report high mileage cars with M156 on original bolts. Let me know in the comments of the video what you think of the bolt condition. I will post another video on YouTube where I will show each one of the bolt. I will also talk in more details about the mistakes I made along the way and how to avoid them. So subscribe if interested.

In general, I am starting a whole new YouTube automotive channel where I will talk about my own E63 as well as many other cars. Feel free to subscribe and comment. Thanks for watching.

I posted another video showing the condition of the bolts. These bolts looked just fine to me, but let me know what you think?

Last edited by Rovel; 04-08-2020 at 11:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2020, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
shrimp boat
Very nice. One day I’ll be brave and tackle this
Old 04-07-2020, 12:50 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by Forrest Gump 9
Very nice. One day I’ll be brave and tackle this
This was the most advanced DIY I ever attempted. Surely I made mistakes along the way that I am going to cover in my another video to help others. But if one follows the instructions it is doable just time consuming.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Well done, definitely something I've been planning on tackling as my 07 is getting close to 98k. I've been debating if this is something I may just finally have a mechanic tackle since my garage at my current house doesnt have doors big enough to fit the E63, if my next house has enough space for access I'm definitely taking this on, and your video helps immensely.

My only question,
Why didn't you change the head gasket as well?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:38 PM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by almostordinary
Well done, definitely something I've been planning on tackling as my 07 is getting close to 98k. I've been debating if this is something I may just finally have a mechanic tackle since my garage at my current house doesnt have doors big enough to fit the E63, if my next house has enough space for access I'm definitely taking this on, and your video helps immensely.

My only question,
Why didn't you change the head gasket as well?
I hope it helps you. You replace head gaskets when you pull the head. That’s the Mercedes approved way of changing head bolts which is not something I feel comfortable doing myself. My video shows what tons of people on this forum have done which is replacing head ***** one at a time. It works fine if done properly and if they haven’t been compromised. For example if you know that the coolant is already getting into the cylinders then most likely you have a broken bolt. In that case you’ll have to pull the heads and replace the gaskets. Does it answer?
Old 04-07-2020, 06:40 PM

Received 310 Likes on 169 Posts
1987 Porsche 911. 2008 G55
Originally Posted by Rovel
I hope it helps you. You replace head gaskets when you pull the head. That’s the Mercedes approved way of changing head bolts which is not something I feel comfortable doing myself. My video shows what tons of people on this forum have done which is replacing head ***** one at a time. It works fine if done properly and if they haven’t been compromised. For example if you know that the coolant is already getting into the cylinders then most likely you have a broken bolt. In that case you’ll have to pull the heads and replace the gaskets. Does it answer?
Totally. Thanks again for the video. Great work.
Old 04-08-2020, 11:55 PM

2007 E63 Amg
I posted another video showing the condition of the bolts. These bolts looked just fine to me, but let me know what you think?

Old 04-15-2020, 09:46 AM

Received 106 Likes on 73 Posts
W222, W221, W218, W211

replaced mine last month... totally unnecessarily - waste of money due to misdiagnose... and a lot of unnecessary work, because everything you touch in this car breaks down when you try to put it together (key word: chain tensioner, key word: camshaft adjuster, key word: breather... ) :[ Now at least I know that if it fails for any reason, I might as well just leave it at the side of the road, walk back home and never look back cuz the only things left there that can break down are going to exceed the value of the car... Ahhh... the beauty of having 15yr-old, second hand sports engine...
Old 04-15-2020, 10:32 AM

2007 E63 Amg
Originally Posted by amgs63dxb
replaced mine last month... totally unnecessarily - waste of money due to misdiagnose... and a lot of unnecessary work, because everything you touch in this car breaks down when you try to put it together (key word: chain tensioner, key word: camshaft adjuster, key word: breather... ) :[ Now at least I know that if it fails for any reason, I might as well just leave it at the side of the road, walk back home and never look back cuz the only things left there that can break down are going to exceed the value of the car... Ahhh... the beauty of having 15yr-old, second hand sports engine...
Tasos Moschatos, I don't know if you know who he is, watched my video and said it was a good idea to change the bolts now. I trust his experience, although the rust I found on my bolts looked to be on the surface. Re:everything you touch breaks: it is true to some extend, especially about any plastic that's super brittle. One should expect needing to replace some solenoids, clamps, covers, etc. We all know what Achilles heel of this car is after 10+ years: breather, intake manifold gasket, crank position sensor, transmission valve body, airmatic struts, cam adjusters, and maybe head bolts (depending on what you believe in). The bottom part of the engine is strong. Once those are addressed, the car should be good, but at that point you've spent ton of money, if you didn't do any job yourself, lol .