W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Display Malfunction Visit workshop" message with no other errors...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Mustang Cobra, 2003 E55 AMG
"Display Malfunction Visit workshop" message with no other errors...

Looking for some insight on my issue, here is the back story.

Came home from a vacation a while back and the battery in the AMG was totally dead in my driveway. Jumped it (probably my first mistake), got it started and parked it back in the garage and put it on my 4 bank battery tender. Checked back after a week on the battery tender and everything was fine, battery passed voltage and CCA tests on my solar tester so I started driving her again. About 3 months and no issues later I got the electrical consumers message on my way home, confirmed my alternator was not charging. Replaced the regulator first with no change, replaced the alternator and all is well. Idle charging volts was ~14.2 volts. Replaced both belts while i was in there.

Went for a shake down run and I now have a consistent "Display Malfunction Visit workshop" message in my dash but as far as I can tell everything works and I have no codes to pull. I have verified the heater, lights, signals, wipers, wiper sprayers, seat heaters, radio, controls, display, brake lights, hazards, headlights, foglights, menu's in display and everything else I can think of actually work. Pulled the passenger side foot well again to make sure I didnt knock anything loose down there while i was chasing voltages and still cant find anything.

Im scratching my head here, currently have both batteries pulled off (main=12.4v, aux=12.2v) and if that doesnt fix the issue Im out of ideas. I would normally start chasing fuses but everything works and nothing is obviously wet in the passenger footwell, trunk or engine bay areas. Looking forward to some advice and or tips, thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails "Display Malfunction Visit workshop" message with no other errors...-20200410_143437.jpg   "Display Malfunction Visit workshop" message with no other errors...-20200410_143716.jpg   "Display Malfunction Visit workshop" message with no other errors...-20200410_143725.jpg  
Old 04-11-2020, 01:00 PM

Just got back from another shake down run and the message is gone. Looks like disconnecting both batteries overnight did the trick, I love it when the easy thing to try is the last thing on my list.
Old 04-12-2020, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 491 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec
When you say "no codes" is that with just an OBD2 reader or with a scanner that can read engine/body/transmission/abs etc. codes?
Old 04-14-2020, 06:32 AM

It was just with an OBD2 bluetooth reader, not an MB specific one. Was debating on which MB specific reader to get vice a STAR system if the battery reset didnt get me sorted out. I was surprised it worked actually since I had both batteries disconnected for the alternator install.