Sponsored by:

Climate Control Dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 and now a second 04 E55
Climate Control Dead

2004 e55 - I first noticed the digital display was not working but the cc functions were all working fine. A few days later driving it at night the lights on the climate control were blinking/fllickering intermittently but the digital screen and functions were working properly. The next day I started it up and the climate unit was completely dead. Today in the garage I turned the key to acc and noticed the lights around the knob were illuminated but as soon as I started the car the entire unit went dark. I took it apart and checked the wires and it looks good. I also looked at the ribbon cable above the rear view mirror (which I have replaced before in a prior e55) and that too looked fine. The fuses, specifically 76 I believe, looks good as well. Because it was intermittently working before I am guessing it is in the wiring but really don't know where else to look. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited by Jc007dt; 06-25-2020 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2020, 07:13 AM

Received 239 Likes on 200 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Jc007dt
2004 e55 - I first noticed the digital display was not working but the cc functions were all working fine. A few days later driving it at night the lights on the climate control were blinking/fllickering intermittently but the digital screen and functions were working properly. The next day I started it up and the climate unit was completely dead. Today in the garage I turned the key to acc and noticed the lights around the knob were illuminated but as soon as I started the car the entire unit went dark. I took it apart and checked the wires and it looks good. I also looked at the ribbon cable above the rear view mirror (which I have replaced before in a prior e55) and that too looked fine. The fuses, specifically 76 I believe, looks good as well. Because it was intermittently working before I am guessing it is in the wiring but really don't know where else to look. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Really need the car hooked up to MB Star and see what is going on with the HVAC controller. There are a number of tests that can be done. It may well be dead, but thankfully there are many available in junk/salvage/breaker yards.
The following users liked this post:
Jc007dt (06-26-2020)