Sponsored by:

AC problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2020, 10:10 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG Wagon
AC problems

I had to rebuild my engine so I took everything regarding the AC system in the engine compartment apart. At that time everything was fully functional. My car is back on the road for about seven months and I did not try to refill the AC system until 14 days ago. The system holds a vacuum fine but does not want to accept more than 4.5 ounces of refrigerant where it needs about 33 ounces. I since have replaced the dryer and expansion valve but I still have the same problem. Does anybody have an idea on what can be the issue?
Old 07-04-2020, 08:47 AM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by Pieter Schepers
I had to rebuild my engine so I took everything regarding the AC system in the engine compartment apart. At that time everything was fully functional. My car is back on the road for about seven months and I did not try to refill the AC system until 14 days ago. The system holds a vacuum fine but does not want to accept more than 4.5 ounces of refrigerant where it needs about 33 ounces. I since have replaced the dryer and expansion valve but I still have the same problem. Does anybody have an idea on what can be the issue?
Are you using the 12 os. cans? If so that is your issue. The pressure in the system is equal to the pressure in the cans and nothing more will go in. Either use a larger canister or you can try warming the small cans to increase the pressure. Submerge the can - while hooked up to the car and charging, in a bath of hot water. With the third can you risk overchanrging the system heating the can, so be careful. Hopefully you will get enough in the sytem it will turn on. But, if you don't have a diagnostic tool to clear all the HVAC codes (specifically low pressure has been set and logged) the system will not come on. Good luck.