Sponsored by:

Question about SBC actuations / extended warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55
Question about SBC actuations / extended warranty

When I bought my e55 I had a VMI run mainly to verify if/when the fuel tank recall had been done. I was happy to also see that in 2018 the SBC actuator unit was replaced under warranty (I'm assuming this refers to the actual SBC unit)
Last weekend I got the white brake error message on the dash. It's STAR error C249F - check operating time of component A7/3 (SBC Hydraulic unit). When I check the actual actuation count it shows 552,766 which I understand to be fairly high. (Doesn't the car alert you around the 300,000 range?)

Questions are, is the SBC Hydraulic unit different than the SBC Acutator unit? Is it possible that they replaced it in 2018 and did not reset the counter? Is C249F considered a fault code that would replace the SBC under warranty even if it was potentially done in 2018? I've read some people's experiences where the dealer just "reflashes" the unit which I assume to be clearing the actuation number, but that seems dangerous. The car has less than 30k miles on it since the 2018 service date, is 550k a reasonable number of actuations for that mileage?
Old 08-13-2020, 02:09 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
As far as I know, that code is directly related to that warranty repair so I think the most likely cause is that they didn't reset it, that that also seems extremely high for 2 years later unless you live on the interstate haha. Warranty work for flat rate techs is the worst kind of job they can often get, so my experience is that corners are often cut, especially if the bulletin they are working off of doesn't explicitly call for resetting the fault counter. They completely left out a wiring harness connector piece when my fuel tank warranty work was done, also not clear in the bulletin...

Honestly I wouldn't worry about resetting the counter (not sure if STAR can do that or if you need to get the counter tool from Ebay etc), the updates to these units should get them lasting a very long time (and you have a 25 year warranty anyway). Setting an arbitrary number as to when a component fails is over-engineering if you ask me, this depends so much on how hard and sudden each braking application was, heat (or cold) on the system over the years, how often flushes were performed etc.

If it were me - reset the counter, plan on flushing the fluid with STAR in the next year or so (I do every 3-4 years on fluid), and don't worry about it. I'm guessing the unit was replaced by the old owner, and in that case going in to the dealer would likely at least net you $200 of diagnostic time (old owner might have gotten a free recheck if they had a good visit history with the dealer) to tell you it will be fine and reset the counter.