Sponsored by:

Car battery draining?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2020, 11:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 s550v, 2008 e63, 2006 e55
Car battery draining?

So I’m having some trouble with my 06 e55. The battery seems like it’s being drained by something. I jump the battery and it seems to work but as soon as I turn it off the battery drains in like 10 minutes what could it be? The battery itself is almost brand new so I don’t think it’s that. Has anyone had something like this ? Or what are some issues that could cause this that I should look over. TIA!
Old 09-15-2020, 04:04 PM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by ivanof900
So I’m having some trouble with my 06 e55. The battery seems like it’s being drained by something. I jump the battery and it seems to work but as soon as I turn it off the battery drains in like 10 minutes what could it be? The battery itself is almost brand new so I don’t think it’s that. Has anyone had something like this ? Or what are some issues that could cause this that I should look over. TIA!
If it is draining a significant amount in 10 minutes then you have a substantial direct short. If you did have a short like that it would likely be a problem with running. You really need a way to read the current draw on the battery both running and not running. One possilbe is a bad alternator (shorted diode) which can drain a battery in a relatively short time frame. If that is your issue, it will drain fast enough that you will see the battery voltage dropping over a relatively short period. Plus, the alternator will likely not be charging the battery properly when the engine is running. A functioning alternator should be giving about 13.7v - 14v+ to the battery when the engine is running. Report back what you find and good luck.