oil change - too much oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amg e63
oil change - too much oil

hello mb world,

i have a 2007 amg e63 sedan. i just did an oil change the other day. everything went fairly smoothly, other than the garage that did the change previously used zap straps on quite a few of the fastening points for the plastic undertrays - grrrr.
my question is this:
the spcs on oil volume is 8.8l which is what i put in. i drained both the oil cooler and the main sump. i got about 6.5 litres of old oil out but as i said put 8.8litres back in. when checking the dipstick the oil level is showing right off the red plastic end up about 3-4 mm on the metal above the red plastic. i've only run the engine for e few minutes as i don't want to damage anything. on old school north american engines ( i was a race car driver and mechanic back in the day but have no training on new high end cars) this would impact engine efficiency but not do much else. i am wondering about this. it seems odd. does anyone else have any thoughts or similar experiences ? thank you. neil
Old 09-21-2020, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
To be totally honest, I never measured the oil that is removed, but I also put in 9.3 - 9.5 qt. of oil even after draining the sump and oil coolers. After 13 yrs., I have never had a oil issue. I would drive your car, then recheck your oil level. My car always measures at max after an oil change, never over filled.
The following users liked this post:
visartist (09-22-2020)