Extra Heat exchanger fitted .... in rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Extra Heat exchanger fitted .... in rear

So we all have the heat soak issue etc and I had an after market heat exchanger lying around... I bought it ages ago and cant even remember which one but think it might have been a Code3 performance bar plate to replace the front OEM unit.

Anyhow long story short I put the OEM one back in its place and with my water tank in the boot spare wheel well I noticed quite a bit of space inside the rear bumper area. I ended up fitting the code3 here even though there is no direct airflow it should be worth a few degrees of cooling none the less. The Johnson CM90 pump I have has enough oomph to drive both exchangers and the intercooler. So far been worth it; easy job overall - hardest part was getting bumper off.

So if you have a surplus H/E lying around this is a decent option - probably not an ideal location if you plan on buying a H/E specifically for this fitment and you also need to consider your pump flow rate .... Johnson CM30 or OEM may not flow enough and may make things worse.
Old 10-18-2020, 06:00 PM

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
2011 CL63 AMG (Current) 2005 CLS55 AMG (Current) 2004 C32 AMG (Sold)
Originally Posted by stevebez
So we all have the heat soak issue etc and I had an after market heat exchanger lying around... I bought it ages ago and cant even remember which one but think it might have been a Code3 performance bar plate to replace the front OEM unit.

Anyhow long story short I put the OEM one back in its place and with my water tank in the boot spare wheel well I noticed quite a bit of space inside the rear bumper area. I ended up fitting the code3 here even though there is no direct airflow it should be worth a few degrees of cooling none the less. The Johnson CM90 pump I have has enough oomph to drive both exchangers and the intercooler. So far been worth it; easy job overall - hardest part was getting bumper off.

So if you have a surplus H/E lying around this is a decent option - probably not an ideal location if you plan on buying a H/E specifically for this fitment and you also need to consider your pump flow rate .... Johnson CM30 or OEM may not flow enough and may make things worse.
Interesting, if you had any logged IAT data so you can compare and before and after results will confirm if is has made a difference which I think it should even if location isn't the best.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I have a cooler behind my rear bumper with 2 Spal fans on it. I had to cut the aluminum bumper reinforcement for the fans to clear. It allows the air to be pulled through the cooler, then into the hollow area of the reinforcement and exit out each end.

Look in my thread link is in my signature.
The following users liked this post:
stevebez (10-20-2020)
Old 10-18-2020, 09:54 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
Originally Posted by stevebez
Johnson CM30 or OEM may not flow enough and may make things worse.
If you have a CM30 in your car for any reason you have a problem....