Sponsored by:

Looking for a 2005/2006 E55

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2020, 11:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
N/A
Looking for a 2005/2006 E55

What’s going on? New to the group and recently took an interest in finding a clean 2005-2006 E55. There doesn’t seem to be too many clean low mileage options in the market that I can find right now.

I did find one with 56k on it, one owner family. There are no maint. records/invoices available. Original window sticker is also missing. The guy is asking $21k which seems awfully steep for a car that virtually has no collectable value.

Wear is minimal and appears to be in a good shape, but again no papers.

Have seen some cherry cars sell within the past year with maint. history and paperwork for high teens.

Was hoping to possibly get some input on pricing out something like the one I’m looking at. It’s a nice low mileage example and would make a good driver, but not seeing any collectable value without any original paperwork.

Hope the videos uploaded. Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8624.mov (11.18 MB, 43 views)
IMG_8625.MOV (17.41 MB, 24 views)
FullSizeRender.mov (10.44 MB, 34 views)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 172 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Supply and demand, plus it’s only worth what someone will pay. Papers don’t really matter to me since as you said it’s not “collectible”. However the prices have stabilized and seem to be going up.

I would imagine my car even with a rebuilt title and new motor would still get good money due to color combo and some added for the mods. However I don’t care bc I have no intentions of selling. I lost the car after the accident 5y ago and just got it back.

The following users liked this post:
SCM113k (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 12:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 217 Likes on 172 Posts
2012 Volt - 2005 E55 - 2011 G55 - 2013 GL63
Plus these 2 are 2004 and similar miles to the one you found. But you found year newer and the better year IMO and it’s between the two on miles. So maybe the $21k isn’t too bad.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-amg-sedan-22/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-amg-sedan-21/
Old 10-25-2020, 12:42 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by black06c230
Plus these 2 are 2004 and similar miles to the one you found. But you found year newer and the better year IMO and it’s between the two on miles. So maybe the $21k isn’t too bad.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-amg-sedan-22/

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-amg-sedan-21/

Yeah, seeing mixed results. I agree with the 2005 and 2006 being better. Blower/steering/suspension upgrades. Thanks for the reply. I was using these as comps, see images.
Definitely worth whatever someone will pay.

Old 10-25-2020, 12:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
It’s better to get a car with service records and higher mileage rather than a low mileage without service records. Repairs can get really expensive. Service records can tell a lot in what’s been taken care. With age these cars require maintenance irrespective of mileage.
The following 2 users liked this post by fazxs:
Bankroll (10-25-2020), SCM113k (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 01:05 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by fazxs
It’s better to get a car with service records and higher mileage rather than a low mileage without service records. Repairs can get really expensive. Service records can tell a lot in what’s been taken care. With age these cars require maintenance irrespective of mileage.
I was thinking along those lines as well, thank you for reinforcing that thought. Was thinking I’d rather have the 100k mike car that’s already had a bunch of maint. done to it. Crap shoot either way, bound to run I to something. Was first looking at the E63, but don’t like the design of the motor. Figure with an E55 I can get my hands dirty and cut down on some expenses.
Old 10-25-2020, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
I would rather have a lower mileage car with no records. Then Do whatever repairs that are needed and hopefully have less chance of redoing work that some jackleg did a halfass job on. Lol.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:29 AM

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
I preferred getting a low mileage car that looked absolutely great while buying it. I ended up spending a lot of money on maintenance over two years. Most of it is due to age of the vehicle itself and none of the mentioned parts had failed while worth the previous owner which makes it a potential failure in future.

Airmatic - rear air springs and the shocks. This price varies between OEM, Bilstein and rebuilt. Either route is expensive.

Airmatic compressor, Suspension components - bushings, control arms and sway bar

Fuel leak - this if it was done good. 15 year warranty for most cars is past so if not done an expensive fix. This was applicable only in the US I believe. This fix parts and labor can be up to $1500.

Electrical failures - CWG failure

Drivetrain pulleys - with age these start squeaking and failing.

The supercharger pulley bearing which is a cheap fix.

A bunch of maintenance like fluid changes, plugs, belts, bulbs, brakes etc.

Sometimes saving a few thousand dollars on a car that was cheaper than a car with excellent maintenance records is not worth the hassle. For some, they like to DIY and work with a preferred garage and bring it up to condition they expect.

I don’t regret doing any of this work as I feel is something that would have eventually cropped up during my ownership at some point and it’s all been done which leaves me with peace of mind that most major work has been done. If you find a car with most major issues covered in service records, it’s worth considering. Engines are pretty reliable and like most members here, absolutely no issues with the engine.

SCM113k (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 10:33 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by fazxs
I preferred getting a low mileage car that looked absolutely great while buying it. I ended up spending a lot of money on maintenance over two years. Most of it is due to age of the vehicle itself and none of the mentioned parts had failed while worth the previous owner which makes it a potential failure in future.

Airmatic - rear air springs and the shocks. This price varies between OEM, Bilstein and rebuilt. Either route is expensive.

Airmatic compressor, Suspension components - bushings, control arms and sway bar

Fuel leak - this if it was done good. 15 year warranty for most cars is past so if not done an expensive fix. This was applicable only in the US I believe. This fix parts and labor can be up to $1500.

Electrical failures - CWG failure

Drivetrain pulleys - with age these start squeaking and failing.

The supercharger pulley bearing which is a cheap fix.

A bunch of maintenance like fluid changes, plugs, belts, bulbs, brakes etc.

Sometimes saving a few thousand dollars on a car that was cheaper than a car with excellent maintenance records is not worth the hassle. For some, they like to DIY and work with a preferred garage and bring it up to condition they expect.

I don’t regret doing any of this work as I feel is something that would have eventually cropped up during my ownership at some point and it’s all been done which leaves me with peace of mind that most major work has been done. If you find a car with most major issues covered in service records, it’s worth considering. Engines are pretty reliable and like most members here, absolutely no issues with the engine.
Thanks for the insight. Low miles looks good from a collector standpoint, but only if it has the paperwork to back it up. If no papers I’d rather haVe a higher mileage one with a good maint. record and sink the cash I’m saving right back into the car.

I want to mod the cooling system, headers, smaller SC pulley, fuel injection, and tune. Keep it fairly stock, but improve power and efficiency.

I like the car, but guy is asking a premium. With no records I have to assume nothing has been done, which means a major tune plus whatever else is about to pop up due to age.

Think I’m gonna let this one sit on the back burner for now and see what happens.

Old 10-25-2020, 10:41 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by tlambert
I would rather have a lower mileage car with no records. Then Do whatever repairs that are needed and hopefully have less chance of redoing work that some jackleg did a halfass job on. Lol.
Just comes down to the price really. I’d pay a fair price for a low mileage car, but wouldn’t pay the same or more as I would for one with low miles and maint. records.

Would rather save the $5-6k on a higher mileage one that has recorded maint. and sink it back in, but to each their own.
Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
The black 55 in the vids you posted first, I agree I wouldn’t want to pay $21 for that particular car. It looks good but I did see some flaws for the price.
Don’t get too hung up on paper work. I had like 2 invoices when I bought mine. But my son and I did a thorough inspection of the car on a lift and he ran a VMI on the car. Vehicle Mastery Inquiry.

Also you can always have the dealer run a VMI report and whatever maintenance was done at the dealer should show up.
SCM113k (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 11:04 AM

N/A
Originally Posted by tlambert
The black 55 in the vids you posted first, I agree I wouldn’t want to pay $21 for that particular car. It looks good but I did see some flaws for the price.
Don’t get too hung up on paper work. I had like 2 invoices when I bought mine. But my son and I did a thorough inspection of the car on a lift and he ran a VMI on the car. Vehicle Mastery Inquiry.

Also you can always have the dealer run a VMI report and whatever maintenance was done at the dealer should show up.
Don’t get me wrong, not hung up on paperwork. Could see asking a “collectable” premium price if it had paperwork , that’s all I was getting at. I’ll pay a fair price, but not going to overpay. I’ll let someone else do that!haha

Thanks for the VMI recommendation. Will have a PPI on whatever one I do eventually buy.

It will probably take some time, but the right one will eventually pop up.

tlambert (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 04:13 PM

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
W211 e500 (Sold), w204 c180, w203 c180, w201 190e, W219 CLS 55
I bought a low mileage cls 55 for close to premium price, airmatic blew day 3 of ownership. Had ok paperwork. I have since then replaced most service parts and will keep replacing parts to keep everything working well.

I would buy low mileage again but I wouldn't pay premium price or close to since it would need to replace the same parts as higher milage just due to age. The low mileage cars looks nicer and feel better once you replaced all the parts in the end.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dokus:
SCM113k (10-25-2020), tlambert (10-25-2020)
Old 10-25-2020, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Dokus

I would buy low mileage again but I wouldn't pay premium price or close to since it would need to replace the same parts as higher milage just due to age. The low mileage cars looks nicer and feel better once you replaced all the parts in the end.

Well said.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:21 AM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
CLS55
best route is to just buy a car that’s been molested by somebody on here.

mods don’t add value and these cars really aren’t worth owning stock. let somebody else flush money down the toilet for you.

Last edited by coupesedan; 10-26-2020 at 12:31 AM.
black06c230 (10-26-2020)