Sponsored by:

Possible fuel injector leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2020, 05:25 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Possible fuel injector leak

Hey all, So I started noticing a faint gas smell in the engine bay while the ignition is on. At first the smell seemed like it was coming from the throttle body area which made me think that it was the fuel damper (seems to be a common issue) so just ordered the part and will replace that soon just to be safe. However, as I was sniffing around, I also noticed the smell on the passenger side of the fuel rail. I inspected the fuel injectors but they all seem to be dry. I let the car sit overnight and the smell went away the next day. The smell also goes away while the engine is running. I'm going to take everything apart to confirm if there is a leak and if so, I was thinking of upgrading to 550cc injectors and possibly a looped fuel rail. Have any of you had issues with your stock fuel injectors seals leaking? Also, are there any cons to using 550cc injectors with a stock pulley and light mods, VRP intake, belt wrap kit, upgraded H/E? My car also just broke 74k miles.

Last edited by Schfifty_5; 11-02-2020 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:24 AM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
Fuel damper is in the rear on the passenger side. Replace it first and then see if the gas smell goes away.
Old 11-03-2020, 06:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Fountain35
Fuel damper is in the rear on the passenger side. Replace it first and then see if the gas smell goes away.
So I inspected the area yesterday and the fuel smell was gone. I also had the ignition on for a few minutes to duplicate what happened the other day and nothing. I also let the engine run and drove it around a bit and there's no longer any fuel smell. One thing I did do last time was jump the H/E pump from the rear SAM to test it while the ignition was on. Could that have jumped the fuel pump as well? I thought those weren't linked.