W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Longtubes are in - where should I drop this x-pipe? Keep Resonator?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 11:28 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Longtubes are in - where should I drop this x-pipe? Keep Resonator?

So over last couple weekends I finally got the longtubes installed (more of a b_tch that I expected it to be). I bought the same chinese cheap ones with the flex session everyone is getting these days. That said, the mid pipes that connect the headers to the tailpipes are not cut well. I am taking another pass at it this weekend just to get it good enough to drive to exhaust shop, but I spent a good 90 minutes trying to get it all seated with no luck. When I finally gave up, I was trying a different approach and it may be better, but we'll see (will comment later if anyone interested). The angles weren't quite right and the flex sections were touching heat shields, slip fittings were not all fully seated...and there are just a lot of slip fittings. I'll comment later if anyone is interested on my final pass at it, but right now I'm not seeing it as a good fit.

At any rate, as I planned to have an x-pipe welded in by a local shop anyway, I decided to just have them replaced the included midpipe section to ensure it won't leak or rub/knock. I bought the magnaflow x-pipe but am unsure where to place it and was looking for advice. Anyone run an x-pipe with resonator still in place? If I delete resonator, where should I put the x-pipe? Just not sure how placement of resonator would impact sounds or performance (which I'm guessing it won't matter in terms of performance).

Also...3" pipe the way to go? It seems most shops dont' have 2.75 and my choices tended to be 2.5 or 3"

Thoughts would be appreciated. I did dig around a bit doing searches and got some input but wanted to lay it out for everyone to get more clear guidance if I could. Interested in how it all sounded for others...I see vids on YouTube but they say nothing about where the x-pipe was placed.

-Chris
Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
04 E55 AMG

Last edited by Slider; 11-19-2020 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by testknight
So over last couple weekends I finally got the longtubes installed (more of a b_tch that I expected it to be). I bought the same chinese cheap ones with the flex session everyone is getting these days. That said, the mid pipes that connect the headers to the tailpipes are not cut well. I am taking another pass at it this weekend just to get it good enough to drive to exhaust shop, but I spent a good 90 minutes trying to get it all seated with no luck. When I finally gave up, I was trying a different approach and it may be better, but we'll see (will comment later if anyone interested). The angles weren't quite right and the flex sections were touching heat shields, slip fittings were not all fully seated...and there are just a lot of slip fittings. I'll comment later if anyone is interested on my final pass at it, but right now I'm not seeing it as a good fit.

At any rate, as I planned to have an x-pipe welded in by a local shop anyway, I decided to just have them replaced the included midpipe section to ensure it won't leak or rub/knock. I bought the magnaflow x-pipe but am unsure where to place it and was looking for advice. Anyone run an x-pipe with resonator still in place? If I delete resonator, where should I put the x-pipe? Just not sure how placement of resonator would impact sounds or performance (which I'm guessing it won't matter in terms of performance).

Also...3" pipe the way to go? It seems most shops dont' have 2.75 and my choices tended to be 2.5 or 3"

Thoughts would be appreciated. I did dig around a bit doing searches and got some input but wanted to lay it out for everyone to get more clear guidance if I could. Interested in how it all sounded for others...I see vids on YouTube but they say nothing about where the x-pipe was placed.

-Chris
Chris I have a some info that might help in my thread. Start around post 58-60.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...c-recon-3.html
Old 11-19-2020, 04:27 AM

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
Alfa Romeo Giulia Veloce
This was a photo i grabbed off google when i started thinking about the X pipe mod. pretty sure it's not actually a W211, but it gives an idea i guess?

Old 11-19-2020, 10:48 AM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I would remove the resonator to clean up the exhaust and plus its extra weight. If you install an X pipe, it is best performance wise to put it as far forward as you reasonably can .

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 11-19-2020, 05:48 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Excellent! Thanks Much for the advice. I will remove the resonator but will just have the X-pipe welded in a bit closer to the engine (there seems to be a nice spot before you get to transmission pan).

As a follow up, I was not able to get the supplied midpipes to go in to where the slip fittings would seem well seated or it was not touching some part of the chassis. I had to cut a little off a couple pieces just to get it on enough to where I could pinch it down with the clamps, but the flex sections are touching the car. Fortunately the exhaust shop is just right outside of my edition not even a mile away.