W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Agility Mode TCU tune - Shift delays left in shatters!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 64 Posts
2004 E55.98 SS Camaro.Jetta TDI. Expedition
Originally Posted by tw2
I actually hadn't driven it until today. Overall it is an awesome modification. I never considered any of the previous TCU tunes on offer from other vendors as no one had anything very good to say about them so I can't compare to them. My notes:

Agility (A) mode
  • Much much much faster shifts, definitely a lot more forceful. I didn't reset the adaptations so the obvious bump on gear change might improve over time. It isn't uncomfortable at all, just my head was slammed into the head rest (in a good way) at redline shifts a few times. Lots of grinning.
  • It is more likely to shift to lower gears when you *partially* plant your foot than the old S mode. I found that the stock TCU frequently wouldn't drop gears unless the pedal switch was activated.
  • I still had the occasional scenario when it didn't drop into the lowest gear possible (used 3rd at 2900rpm instead of 2nd at the highway onramp) but I didn't activate the pedal switch ie 98% depressed pedal rather than 100%. Still heaps better than stock overall.
  • When you use the paddles in A mode it actually does what you want. I found at regular cruising the stock TCU would wait sometimes 5-10 seconds before going into 4th gear, now it will do it straight away (as long as rpm high enough of course). The stock TCU seemed to love to ignore your upshift requests. Hugely better than stock, it is worth the money for this behaviour alone.
  • I did a burnout all the way up a hill, smashed into 2nd and kept going with no traction.
I haven't tested any other modes yet. Manual mode works but I other than that I can't comment. I only use the paddles in S mode in general. I will post back with more observations and comment on C and S mode in due course.
Sounds good. What about when you just floor it? Is there still that delay. If you race on 3 you have to go WOT on 2 in an e55
Old 12-20-2020, 08:41 PM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 233 Posts
2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by Ls1toAMG
Sounds good. What about when you just floor it? Is there still that delay. If you race on 3 you have to go WOT on 2 in an e55
By 2 and 3 are you meaning the lights on a drag strip? I only street drive so not sure sorry, usually I am trying to get any semblance of traction I can find so I never plant my foot from a standstill.
Old 12-20-2020, 11:11 PM

Received 152 Likes on 98 Posts
05 E55 (06 E55 RIP)
what's the $ on this TCM?
Old 12-21-2020, 12:03 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
Originally Posted by M5 LOL
what's the $ on this TCM?
I paid less than half the regular price of a eurocharged TCU tune from VRP but that was with black friday. Probably best to contact directly.
Old 12-21-2020, 05:34 PM

Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
E55 amg
Originally Posted by tw2
I paid less than half the regular price of a eurocharged TCU tune from VRP but that was with black friday. Probably best to contact directly.

The e.c tcu is like stock ,zero changes..
Old 12-22-2020, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 304 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
Rev limit up higher, torque limiters moved slightly and adaptive cleared....that's it !!
Old 12-25-2020, 09:09 PM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
The bottom line is the car shifts quick like a late model transmission but is it civil and does it shift like OEM stock in C mode? I don't want to drive in C mode like a teenager with a shift kit in a hot rod.
The following users liked this post:
tlambert (12-25-2020)
Old 12-25-2020, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 353 Likes on 304 Posts
2005 e55 AMG
C mode is stock.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:48 AM

Received 236 Likes on 197 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG, 2005 SLK 350 AMG
Originally Posted by SICAMG
C mode is stock.
And S is just slightly firmer than stock. Agility is noticably more firm and has all the Agility features such as quick downshifts when more throttle is supplied, holding gear, and so on. Manual is all manual with right now shifting - no delays or no response to the shift command. @Fountain35 I see you are in Virginia as I am. How close are you to Warrenton. You can come by and try Troy's TCU for yourself. Send me a PM if interested.

Last edited by machild; 12-26-2020 at 07:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by machild:
maw1124 (01-11-2021), uzzle7 (11-27-2023)
Old 12-27-2020, 12:36 AM

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts
2004 AMG E55
Been waiting to get my new piggyback installed to do some testing on meth activation with the hope of adding timing and removing fuel, moving to a 50/50 mix. Only issue I have is there is now no traction in 3rd gear. At all! This TCU shifts lightning fast and even holding it in 3rd in manual was futile. I either need DR's or some heat and better roads.

The TCU makes the car a completely different animal. Before I never had an issue hooking in 3rd. I also had a bog at the 2-3 shift that was awful. No way to tune it out but the TCU cleared it completely.

I got so used to the bog that I found myself rolling in early to beat it. Now it just spins. I have gotten used to it but first couple times it made for interesting looks as the tires spun!
Old 12-27-2020, 11:15 AM

E55 amg
Note to many these bogs too is the clutch engaging and coming on ,if your fsp still has some lag it's a either your valve or leak .The stock ecu wasn't made for these tq measures to be applied extra as these ecus are pretty old and amg had worked around it to match the engine to it. A piggy back will change the ecu and these things being caused...Terrrys tcu does help alot vs the stock tcu or many so called tuned tcu (which many are not really tuned ).
Old 12-31-2020, 06:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63s Convertible
Ordered on Sunday and just received today, Thursday, NYE! Took a whopping 10 minutes to install, half of the time locating my tools, and all I can say is WOW! Only took a quick spin around the block but there is a noticeable improvement and the ability to use paddles in A mode is Awesome along with the fact I still have my original TCU. I highly recommend 👍🏼
Old 12-31-2020, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by Sushimon519
Ordered on Sunday and just received today, Thursday, NYE! Took a whopping 10 minutes to install, half of the time locating my tools, and all I can say is WOW! Only took a quick spin around the block but there is a noticeable improvement and the ability to use paddles in A mode is Awesome along with the fact I still have my original TCU. I highly recommend 👍🏼
Are there other changes to the TCU in addition to Agility mode? I have Agility mode activated and I'm not sure I can tell much difference. I think a few more days of driving might be necessary but not sure how I feel about it just yet.
Old 12-31-2020, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by bobgodd
Are there other changes to the TCU in addition to Agility mode? I have Agility mode activated and I'm not sure I can tell much difference. I think a few more days of driving might be necessary but not sure how I feel about it just yet.
I made some comments about this TCU in my post #14 above. In addition to those comments, when pulling hard in A mode and it shifts automatically, as soon as the shift happens the car thrust forward. This is a real difference along with the much quicker and firmer shifting.

Last edited by machild; 12-31-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by machild
I made some comments about this TCU in my post #14 above. In addition to those comments, when pulling hard in A mode and it shifts automatically, as soon as the shift happens the car thrust forward. This is a real difference along with the much quicker and firmer shifting.
OK so based on what you wrote in post 14, there's more tuning going on than just activating agility mode on an otherwise stock TCU? I'm just trying to understand things fully. I enabled agility mode today on my otherwise stock TCU, and I'm not sure I've felt much of a difference, if any, over sport mode. Maybe I need to drive more... I did find it hard to go full throttle for any appreciable time considering where I live and the fact that there's many many other cars on the road lol. Maybe some late night freeway experimentation is necessary, not sure. At part throttle I don't feel any difference, in fact I'd say if feels kind of like the first few drives after doing the "sneaky ECU reset" or clearing adaptations.

Not trying to throw shade at anyone, just trying to understand things better.

Last edited by bobgodd; 12-31-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:14 AM
tw2
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 AMG, 1991 MR2
OK so based on what you wrote in post 14, there's more tuning going on than just activating agility mode on an otherwise stock TCU? I'm just trying to understand things fully. I enabled agility mode today on my otherwise stock TCU, and I'm not sure I've felt much of a difference, if any, over sport mode. Maybe I need to drive more... I did find it hard to go full throttle for any appreciable time considering where I live and the fact that there's many many other cars on the road lol. Maybe some late night freeway experimentation is necessary, not sure. At part throttle I don't feel any difference, in fact I'd say if feels kind of like the first few drives after doing the "sneaky ECU reset" or clearing adaptations.

Do you have this TCU or are you doing something different? It made an extremely obvious change right from pulling out of the driveway. You can slowly drive around at 30mph or less and fully appreciate the changes.
Old 01-01-2021, 06:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
99 ford lightning
this tcu is tuned it has been tested in the person that tunes these cars as well as another vehicle that races. From there it is set up for what is done to the car. My case i have a 3000 stall, so there was a whole formula done on it for the changes that were needed to get it to work and shift at its best. To better understand even if you do not race your car i knocked off 3 tenths.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:01 AM

Agility mode on a stock TCU has several performance differences over the stock sport mode. In A mode it will hold the current gear with a much lower acceleration increase. It will downshift from a cruising speed to a lower gear with mimimal increase in the accelerartion rate. When I was using the stock TCU, I always used A mode over S mode.

Now for Troy's TCU, as compared to stock, it is a big performance upgrade as so many people here have commented. It resolves all the little annoying issues that negatively impact daily use and high performance function, it greatly shortens shift times, does not miss shifts, does not reduce enigne output at shift points, and it too has the Agility mode which does all the stock features, but also much, much quicker (noticeably sharper),and can be paddle shifted. A mode with Troy's TCU is the high performace transmission package MB should have provided in our cars.
The following users liked this post:
maw1124 (01-11-2021)
Old 01-01-2021, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E55
Originally Posted by tw2
Do you have this TCU or are you doing something different? It made an extremely obvious change right from pulling out of the driveway. You can slowly drive around at 30mph or less and fully appreciate the changes.
I don't have that TCU, I turned it on via Vediamo. But I don't know if the steps to turn it on (activate "A" mode) are all that's needed, or if other steps are required.

Agility mode on a stock TCU has several performance differences over the stock sport mode. In A mode it will hold the current gear with a much lower acceleration increase. It will downshift from a cruising speed to a lower gear with mimimal increase in the accelerartion rate. When I was using the stock TCU, I always used A mode over S mode.

Now for Troy's TCU, as compared to stock, it is a big performance upgrade as so many people here have commented. It resolves all the little annoying issues that negatively impact daily use and high performance function, it greatly shortens shift times, does not miss shifts, does not reduce enigne output at shift points, and it too has the Agility mode which does all the stock features, but also much, much quicker (noticeably sharper),and can be paddle shifted. A mode with Troy's TCU is the high performace transmission package MB should have provided in our cars.
Perhaps I need to drive around some more and get used to the car again? I don't know. I had been driving a beater Saturn for the last few years, and now, Saturn dead... So I'm back commuting in my E55. I commute about 30 miles each way, mostly freeway, so I don't get a lot of experience most days with aggressive shifting, I might have forgotten how the car normally behaves. My car also has 215k miles, maybe the transmission is just old and not as crisp, who knows.
Old 01-01-2021, 11:46 AM

E55 amg

A mode was never on the stock tcu...

Also note,every car will react to different on a this tcu on year,and what mods you have with it.

Last edited by oneslow55; 01-01-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:08 PM

Received 138 Likes on 110 Posts
2005 E55
I don't have that TCU, I turned it on via Vediamo. But I don't know if the steps to turn it on (activate "A" mode) are all that's needed, or if other steps are required.
I believe the tuned ECU A mode still has drastic differences over factory even if A mode is enabled. I know the creator has mentioned greatly increased torque limits, line pressure changes, and also a lot of work to get traction control to be fully disabled on all years/models (I wouldn't bought it for this alone).
Old 01-01-2021, 12:10 PM

E55 amg
Originally Posted by drothgeb
I believe the tuned ECU A mode still has drastic differences over factory even if A mode is enabled. I know the creator has mentioned greatly increased torque limits, line pressure changes, and also a lot of work to get traction control to be fully disabled on all years/models (I wouldn't bought it for this alone).

Not sure the traction control is fully gone as you can feel it come on still at times.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
When you say traction control fully disabled. You mean when the traction button is turned off? Not all the time correct?
Old 01-01-2021, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by oneslow55
A mode was never on the stock tcu...

Also note,every car will react to different on a this tcu on year,and what mods you have with it.
Yes, it is an added feature to the stock TCU. Seems to be a very common update to an otherwise stock TCU.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:26 PM

Yes, in A mode you really start feeling the tuning of Troy's work. All the improvements you mentioned here.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Agility Mode TCU tune - Shift delays left in shatters!