Sponsored by:

Groan/Creak Sound From Rear Suspension After Switch to BC Racing Coilovers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 06:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2006 E55 AMG Kombi
Groan/Creak Sound From Rear Suspension After Switch to BC Racing Coilovers

Hello, all. a couple weeks ago, I replaced the ailing Airmatic suspension on my E55 Wagon with a set of coilovers from BC Racing. Overall, I am happy with the results so far with one exception. The rear suspension seems to be making a groaning noise over large compressions and when there is significant difference between what the left and right wheels are doing in the rear, such as diagonal movement over a transition where the suspension is torqued. The sound feels like something is not properly lubricated.

The car never showed this behavior before the swap, but I also currently have the rear interior trim out of the car so it is possible I am hearing things that would normally be squelched by the sound deadening in the rear, especially as it got colder recently. Has anyone with BCs on their car experienced this? OR for that matter, anyone seen a similar sound from the rear that was solved?

My two main potential culprits at the moment are the poly top bushes on the BC Shocks squeaking, or the bushings on the sway bar. I also think it's also possible it could be coming from the springs.

I know there are not many of us with the Wagon out here, but suspension design is similar enough I would be happy to hear from sedan owners as well.

Any pointers would be appreciated.