Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Desperation | W211 E55 Eating Alternators

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2021, 10:09 AM

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
Have you checked the ground wire between engine and chassis?
Old 02-07-2021, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I had a similar issue back in the day on a non-AMG W211. It was the wire from the battery to the alternator that had shorted out.
Old 02-07-2021, 02:31 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
E55 AMG
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
I had a similar issue back in the day on a non-AMG W211. It was the wire from the battery to the alternator that had shorted out.
Thanks both. This was checked by mechanic and said wire is fine. See original post update for latest developments as of today.
Old 02-08-2021, 01:26 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Originally Posted by e55aed
Not for me. Battery is brand new (installed in August 2020). Auxiliary battery is old but is also fine (in any case it is not connected to main circuit unless triggered).

Let's see. I will get the car back today and find out.

What was the original electrical issue on your CL55?
Original issue was it was eating alternators just like your car. I had my battery tested and all came ok. What's weird that happened today is I put the battery charger on the car and it was at 68% but when I disconnect the battery from the car and charge the battery alone it was at 98%. I think the charger has a hard time charging and getting the info of the battery when its connected to the car since I grab the battery charger clip to the... idk what its called Ill put a picture...

Old 02-08-2021, 01:47 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MartinWake
Original issue was it was eating alternators just like your car. I had my battery tested and all came ok. What's weird that happened today is I put the battery charger on the car and it was at 68% but when I disconnect the battery from the car and charge the battery alone it was at 98%. I think the charger has a hard time charging and getting the info of the battery when its connected to the car since I grab the battery charger clip to the... idk what its called Ill put a picture...
Thanks. My battery's voltage is fine when connected. It passed the load test and pretty confident with it since it's Bosch.

What is voltage drop in your battery when connected vs. not connected with car off?

You should do a parasitic draw test on your car to check if it's a large difference: https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain.

Doesn't matter where you hook up the clips since all of the metal at the terminal is a conductor.
Old 06-18-2022, 05:11 PM

E55 AMG
Problem solved

To close the loop on this, turns out it was my BCM which I swapped and haven't seen any problems since *knock wood*
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-18-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 11:49 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55
To close the loop on this, turns out it was my BCM which I swapped and haven't seen any problems since *knock wood*
Did you swap out the BCM as a last resort or did it show a fault in diagnostic process?
Old 07-30-2022, 03:24 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Rallyboy383
Did you swap out the BCM as a last resort or did it show a fault in diagnostic process?
Last resort. Heard a sound from it too hence how I found out.
Old 01-08-2023, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
E63 SL55 996TT C5Z06
Last resort. Heard a sound from it too hence how I found out.
e55aed - bumping an old thread as i am experiencing alternator/charging issues on my m113k (SL55) and wanted to know if the BCM issue you had threw a code on Star or how did you determine it was that?

Was there a sounds or something you mentioned that led you to determine it was the BCM? I have a basic foxwell 5300 scanner and it shows zero codes on my car but it only holds 11.5 to 12v that is after 2 new batteries installed the past 3 months. i replaced the voltage regulator about a year ago and am wondering if the entire alternator now needs replacing at 75k miles? am assuming my issue is the alternator since i dont have the voltage spikes you mentioned 14v at WOT and back to 12 which sounds like was related to BCM.... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-08-2023, 08:28 PM

Received 349 Likes on 240 Posts
13 s212 63 p30. 03 s55amg. 06 LX470
Having read this, one thing I’ve also not seen mentioned is proper programming of the bcm for the type of battery installed. Bcm, was a common issue to check for visually but definitely check digitally. When I had my 55, I had to make sure this was correct when upgrading the battery otherwise the charging rate is not correct.

use star das

some food for thought.
The following users liked this post:
jvakos (01-09-2023)
Old 01-09-2023, 07:53 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jvakos
e55aed - bumping an old thread as i am experiencing alternator/charging issues on my m113k (SL55) and wanted to know if the BCM issue you had threw a code on Star or how did you determine it was that?

Was there a sounds or something you mentioned that led you to determine it was the BCM? I have a basic foxwell 5300 scanner and it shows zero codes on my car but it only holds 11.5 to 12v that is after 2 new batteries installed the past 3 months. i replaced the voltage regulator about a year ago and am wondering if the entire alternator now needs replacing at 75k miles? am assuming my issue is the alternator since i dont have the voltage spikes you mentioned 14v at WOT and back to 12 which sounds like was related to BCM.... any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
yes, the bcm was making a high pitched sound. Indeed it may be the alternator for you. Would get one that has a warranty so if it goes you can swap it. You should have a burning smell and potentially whining from alternator if it's bad.
Old 09-03-2023, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Bro I am on my 4th alternator and battery NO LIE and from reading your story the BCM has to be what is wrong with my car also. I did a couple of dig races on a cool night and on my way home BATTERY/ALTERNATOR light comes on. Turned the car off and bam won't start back up. Aux battery is fairly new 2020 sticker on it. Where did you order yours from? How much? What was the cost to getting it all back together. Does it need to be coded? I don't have a STAR program but wish I really did to figure out things if you know the exact one I need for a 2003 e55.. thanks
Old 09-05-2023, 12:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
I am having this exact same problem with my '04 e55. bought the car last year september, 1st alternator died december, its replacement died in april and now come september again this one is gone. no idea why. i have a stock electrical system, ill check my BCM with star but i dont really expect to see much, so i might just replace the bcm and get a warranty alternator and see what happens.
this alternator right now makes a very noticeable burning smell and it whines a little, so its def gone
at the very least ill be good for another few months before i can expect the next alternator to go lol
Old 09-09-2023, 10:14 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Mustangridah314
Bro I am on my 4th alternator and battery NO LIE and from reading your story the BCM has to be what is wrong with my car also. I did a couple of dig races on a cool night and on my way home BATTERY/ALTERNATOR light comes on. Turned the car off and bam won't start back up. Aux battery is fairly new 2020 sticker on it. Where did you order yours from? How much? What was the cost to getting it all back together. Does it need to be coded? I don't have a STAR program but wish I really did to figure out things if you know the exact one I need for a 2003 e55.. thanks
I got my BCM from Ebay for $80 I think at the time. Here's the part number. Wishing you the best of luck. My indy replaced it for me.

Should be the same part number for you, if you send me your vin can check on star

Last edited by e55aed; 09-09-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2023, 10:21 AM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by pistonslap
I am having this exact same problem with my '04 e55. bought the car last year september, 1st alternator died december, its replacement died in april and now come september again this one is gone. no idea why. i have a stock electrical system, ill check my BCM with star but i dont really expect to see much, so i might just replace the bcm and get a warranty alternator and see what happens.
this alternator right now makes a very noticeable burning smell and it whines a little, so its def gone
at the very least ill be good for another few months before i can expect the next alternator to go lol
Very likely the BCM, sounds very similar to my hellish experience. The weird thing is my burnt alternator started not burning and working again after I let the car hibernate for a few weeks. Not a long term solution though as the voltage (which I permanently had on the center of my guage cluster during this nightmare) was not stable at over 13v consistently hence the alternator will eventually give out under stress (seems to happen when you floor it).
Old 09-09-2023, 10:27 AM

E55 AMG
Also worth reading this on aux battery. It is not even connected to the main circuit and only kicks in if main battery voltage is low, hence almost never the source of the problem: https://www.scribd.com/document/4374...l-Batery-W211#