E55 - Identifying a bad rear SAM unit?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg
E55 - Identifying a bad rear SAM unit?

Hi all,

I was wondering if there is any way to identify a bad rear SAM unit or if I would just need to replace it? Back story is that my 03' E55 AMGs radio (goes to MB logo then shuts off), cd changer does not open, overhead console (dome lights and sunroof do not work but the SOS button does), passenger side trunk lamp (by the tail light) does not light up and the driver side license plate lamp does not turn on either (although it does if I use the connection from the passenger side so it is definitely not the bulb or housing). Could this just be a bad SAM unit, is there any way to identify a bad SAM unit?

The trunk harness did have a few breaks, they were not completely severed but one was bad enough to prevent my third brake light to come on, all of which I have soldered, and heat shrinked. I tracked the drivers license plate back to the SAM (gray wire with purple stripe) and did not find any other breaks in it, anyone have any suggestions?
Old 03-12-2021, 12:29 AM

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
CLS55AMG
I had water intrusion on my cls55 that took out my rear SAM. Car alarm went off, red emergency message on dash cluster on, power door locks would not work it was a mess. I would pull the SAM out enough to see if there are any shorted wires or relays that are bad/fuses blown.
The following users liked this post:
cadburydingus (03-12-2021)
Old 03-12-2021, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 amg
Originally Posted by CDC55AMG
I had water intrusion on my cls55 that took out my rear SAM. Car alarm went off, red emergency message on dash cluster on, power door locks would not work it was a mess. I would pull the SAM out enough to see if there are any shorted wires or relays that are bad/fuses blown.
I'm starting to think water may have gotten to it. The car is new to me but there is definite evidence that some water has gotten to the SAM (one of the mounting ears has started to rust a little bit.) the trunk did not close properly (on the drivers side) when I got it so I'm assuming it was probably leaking there. I checked all of the fuses and the relays seem ok, didn't notice any other wire issues. I think it's time to replace the SAM