W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 E55 slow to start (new battery), then weird starting sound, weird smell, no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2021, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 180 Likes on 147 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
05 E55 slow to start (new battery), then weird starting sound, weird smell, no start

Car has always been "slow to start" as though the battery were weak. The battery was replaced a little over a year ago. I replaced the aux battery a couple months ago. Car never started "normally" and always cranked as if the battery was weak. But it would always start.

Then, a few days ago, I go to start the car and instead of cranking, I hear a cracking/vibrating sound; kinda like what happens when the battery is low. I turn the key back off and wait. I pop the hood to inspect. I notice a weird electrical burning smell.

I get back in and try it again, car starts this time but the starter sounds different. Car starts. I go home.

I get home, into the garage, kill it. Start it back up, but starter still sounds strange again. No time to deal with this, I hook it up to battery tender overnight so I can look the next day. Now, no start. Just makes a "click" sound as though the battery is too weak to crank. But battery is fully charged.

I mean, all this sounds to me like the starter just fried. But I've read stories online about it being a potential relay/fuse situation preventing 12v from reaching the battery. Anyone got tips on where to start? Where are the locations of these relays/fuses/junctions I could look at to start checking and measuring voltage? Replacing the starter looks like a huge pain in the *** so if it's something simpler I'd love to prove that before I perform surgery.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bad starter, just replaced it, and it's fine now.

a real bear of a job because the aftermarket header had to come off first.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55
How does the new starter compare to the old? Since I got my car it has always been “slow to start” , I was told it is normal for these starters. Is the new one the same or does it crank quicker?
Old 04-11-2021, 01:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
CLS55
Thanks for following back up with what you found. Sorry I didn't see this before as starter would have been my first guess based on previous experience on different platform.
Old 04-12-2021, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by corvettekyle
How does the new starter compare to the old? Since I got my car it has always been “slow to start” , I was told it is normal for these starters. Is the new one the same or does it crank quicker?
bad news: that was the first symptom my starter was on the way out.

good news?: it took it almost 3 years of slow-to-crank symptoms before it finally fried the solenoid.

my new starter sounds like a spaceship compared to my old one. It cranks easily 10x faster, instantaneously. I only buy name brand; which is Bosch in this case. Remanufactured.