Sponsored by:

Parasitic battery drain??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 01:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 s550v, 2008 e63, 2006 e55
Parasitic battery drain??

So I’m sure I’ve had to step something about this in the past but I’ve had this weird drain where I have to jump start it whenever I want to drive it but it’ll only drive for about 2 miles or around 5 minutes.not to mention it dies mid drive. Once it dies it won’t crank it’ll just die and won’t even jump start until left alone for a little while. What could it be?
Not the alternator, have tested the fuses maybe not right but tested.

Last edited by ivanof900; 04-09-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:07 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
'08 E63 AMG
How has your radio been acting lately? It's probably not the issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there. My radio started glitching, and the next morning my car wouldn't start. Then it was episodes similar to what you described, for a couple of days, until I pulled two fuses in the trunk and one on the side of the dashboard, and haven't had a problem since then. I don't remember which fuses I read about pulling. Riding around without a radio for a few months now, until I settle on a replacement, but no more power drain.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by benzokirk
How has your radio been acting lately? It's probably not the issue, but I thought I'd throw it out there. My radio started glitching, and the next morning my car wouldn't start. Then it was episodes similar to what you described, for a couple of days, until I pulled two fuses in the trunk and one on the side of the dashboard, and haven't had a problem since then. I don't remember which fuses I read about pulling. Riding around without a radio for a few months now, until I settle on a replacement, but no more power drain.
It’s a bit buggy I didn’t turn it on the other day I drove it but when the car shut off on me when I came to a stop it turned on and was fuzzy screened then the car completely died and didn’t even want to jump start. Please let me know if you remember which fuses I’ll give that a try
the bad part about it is that I don’t get episodes it turns on through a jump and turns off eventually and won’t start back up until a while later
Old 04-09-2021, 06:28 PM

'08 E63 AMG
Fuses and Locations

Originally Posted by ivanof900
It’s a bit buggy I didn’t turn it on the other day I drove it but when the car shut off on me when I came to a stop it turned on and was fuzzy screened then the car completely died and didn’t even want to jump start. Please let me know if you remember which fuses I’ll give that a try
the bad part about it is that I don’t get episodes it turns on through a jump and turns off eventually and won’t start back up until a while later
So the fuses I pulled are the #6 [40A] Audio Gateway fuse which is in the trunk, #28 [5A] and #26 [7.5A] which are the radio and CD changer, respectively. The last two are found in the fuse box on the side of the dash. Pulling those three might relieve the battery drain problem, but you'll be without your head unit until you replace it. It sounds like this could be your problem, as it was for me. I just noticed that my original response had the sequence twisted, a bit, but this post is accurate. This link will confirm locations and amperage: https://fuse-box.info/mercedes-benz/...uses-and-relay

Let me know if this helps!

Last edited by benzokirk; 04-09-2021 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 02:38 PM

So the fuses I pulled are the #6 [40A] Audio Gateway fuse which is in the trunk, #28 [5A] and #26 [7.5A] which are the radio and CD changer, respectively. The last two are found in the fuse box on the side of the dash. Pulling those three might relieve the battery drain problem, but you'll be without your head unit until you replace it. It sounds like this could be your problem, as it was for me. I just noticed that my original response had the sequence twisted, a bit, but this post is accurate. This link will confirm locations and amperage: https://fuse-box.info/mercedes-benz/...uses-and-relay

Let me know if this helps!
I tried it and threw the alternator back in. Were they burnt for you? I’m going to try and turn it on soon and see what it’s like
Old 04-10-2021, 03:01 PM

'08 E63 AMG
No they weren't, but you shouldn't expect them to be burned out, they should be perfectly fine. Were they?

The malfunction is in your head unit, or CD changer, causing it to draw power continually, even when the car is powered down. You should probably meter your battery to be sure it's capable of producing the required cranking amps before you start your car again. I would recommend slow charging it, to get it back up to spec first, if you have the means to do so. Having those fuses removed simply prevents your head unit/CD changer from draining the battery again.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:24 PM

No they weren't, but you shouldn't expect them to be burned out, they should be perfectly fine. Were they?

The malfunction is in your head unit, or CD changer, causing it to draw power continually, even when the car is powered down. You should probably meter your battery to be sure it's capable of producing the required cranking amps before you start your car again. I would recommend slow charging it, to get it back up to spec first, if you have the means to do so. Having those fuses removed simply prevents your head unit/CD changer from draining the battery again.
so I don’t know if that’s what it is for sure but I turned it on and left it alone for a minute or two after jumping it and saw some smoke coming from the hood so when I went to open my latch is now stuck preventing me from opening it so now I’ll have to look into that before doing anything else
fuses weren’t burnt but I’m hoping that’s what it was I’ll just have to figure out how to open the hood from the passenger side and keep going from there