Sponsored by:

Belt slipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2021, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Belt slipping

Hi guys, I bought this 06 e55 4 yrs ago, since I bought it it had a belt slippage issue, I have tried everything to fix this issue over time but nothing seems to correct it. Basically it has a new supercharger pulley, new belt wrap kit, new tensioners, new pulleys, new gates green belt. I checked the gap and most places mention 0.35mm to 0.45mm. The pulley manufacturer mentions 0.30mm to 0.60mm on the spec sheet. In my car, even with the new supercharger pulley I was getting like 0.77mm. So I pulled all the shims out and still get a 0.63 gap over the top and it wont fit on the sides.
The guy that sold the pulley says this should be fine but the reality is that I hit the gas pedal and it just feels like an all motor car, it tries but then I can feel it slipping.
Is it the magnet surface that is wore out hence I’m getting that large gap without shims? Can this magnet be removed and replaced without pulling the supercharger out?
can anyone please shine some light on this?

Old 04-17-2021, 01:37 AM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Have you logged boost, and have you heard squealing at any time? I highly doubt the gap has anything to do with your issue, it seems most of the smaller clutched pulleys run larger even with no shims (one reason I switched to a fixed pulley). Too large a gap translates to a rough engagement, but these magnets are very strong and not prone to failure.

If you don't see belt material sprayed on the engine, I'd look at actual boost, and probably start questioning things like your tune, intercooler pump health, fuel system etc as the cause for low power concerns.
Old 04-17-2021, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Thank you for taking the time to reply back, I will look into those things. I do not have a boost gauge installed, so will look into installing one.
I did see belt dust specially the first day it got put in, now I see a slight dusting, but I almost never floor the pedal as I know there is no fun.
The reason I thought it’s related to the SC clutch is that I can actually feel it engage for two seconds in which it feels amazing (big push) and then either the belt or the pulley start slipping. Feels like when the clutch on a manual transmission car slips.
I am adding an image of the old supercharger pulley maybe it can add some more insight.

Last edited by Roman13; 04-17-2021 at 09:55 AM.