Sponsored by:

Edmunds First Drive: 06 M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 02:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 CLS55 AMG
And I'll take an SLR over a Carrera GT or an Enzo.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
And how do you know how different SMG is in a m5 if you never driven one...?
BMW has 2 completely different set of SMG system in their current model line up.

1 with hardware designed by BMW and software designed by Siemens, it is the one on M cars (E36 M3, E46 M3, E60 M5). this system is much faster than Ferrari's F1 transmission, and SMGIII is the fastest F1 gearbox that i can think of. and IMO, as long as a sportscar is concern, the gear shift is faster the better, regardless of its smoothness. in that regard, this SMG is one of the best production F1 transmission avaliable.

the other SMG system is used on all non-M car. this SMG box is simply purchased from Magnetti Maralli, the company that also supplies gearbox for Ferrari/Maserati, Aston Martin, Lamborghini...etc. but i think because of the budget issue, BMW's unit is no where as sporty and fast as Ferrari or Lambo's F1/E-Gear transmission. and 545i has that gearbox, and it isn't all that good.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by VelocitE55
And I'll take an SLR over a Carrera GT or an Enzo.

Too bad BMW doesnt make supercars....

they also dont make trucks or buses... And from now on, they only make ugly cars... lol what a shame...
Old 09-11-2004, 03:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Hahaha, ugly is right!
Old 09-11-2004, 03:20 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by DerekFSU
You guys have to ignore him, like we do on the Bimmer boards. I have an M3 which I love, but am trading it in on Monday for an 05' E55. My wife is #2 on the M5 waitlist (she doesn't exactly know that yet). Both companies make awesome cars with equally different attributes. This is like saying blondes are better than brunettes, well... maybe not even that cut & dry.
Ok... I own a '01 BMW M5, and I'm on the waiting list for the next M5. But I'm also on the waiting list for the MB CSL55 AMG and flirting with the E55. I joined the MB World message board to learn more about the MB options. Unfortunately, useful comments and responses are few and far between. I have read through many threads. I haven't read through this entire thread, but I've responded to this one entry, because its tone is what this message board should be striving for.

MB and BMW both make very good cars that differ. There is no black and white here. Perfectly reasonable and intelligent people can prefer one to the other for their own reasons. MB and BMW purposely cater to different constituencies and could easily cater to another. Neither builds the perfect car. For how many is a 0.2 sec difference in 0-60 mph acceleration time important in the category of "luxury sport sedan?"

I have posted an occasional question about the E55 or CLS55 on this forum, and I have received relatively little in return. I have "listened" and learned almost nothing. I still know very little about the MB CLS55 AMG, even though I'll probably have an opportunity to buy one before I can buy the next BMW M5, about which much can be learned on BMW's own web site. Frankly, if I want to learn something about MB cars, I've had better luck on BMW forums.

I'm beginning to think that an MB committee created an interesting CLS exterior/interior and asked AMG to put a big engine in the car. Can I expect anything else of this car?

Guys, that's pathetic! There are "undecided voters" camping out on the MB World message board. There's not much substance available here. MB enthusiasts, please rethink this message board.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E320
The biggest morons are those who have blind loyalty to a brand and attempt to insult competitor brands every chance they get. So far the biggest idiot I've seen has to be Kain.

Heck, this kid barely got what seems like the first ride as a passenger in an M3 just a few days ago. LMFAO and he thinks he's qualified to make criticisms.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...6&page=1&pp=20
Old 09-11-2004, 03:21 AM

N/A

they also dont make trucks or buses... And from now on, they only make ugly cars... lol what a shame...
BMW is making a Z10 with the M5 V10 engine.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by makken85

That quote just shows that you simply can't compare the E55 to the M5. The E55 is a luxury boat with a big engine. The M5, to quote hamster: "is a racecar with a [sedan] body on top of it." The joy of driving an M car is to redline it in every gear, and listen to the engine sing.
Really , because to quote myself : "its a fugly sedan that pretends to be a racecar." There you have it.
To read your BS is if you cant red-line it to 8000rpm in every gear there is no joy in driving it?/
WTF is that??? I guess its a POS than because red-lining it "every-gear" will be as often as Christmas. Get a clue.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:47 AM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Belmondo
Really , because to quote myself : "its a fugly sedan that pretends to be a racecar." There you have it.
To read your BS is if you cant red-line it to 8000rpm in every gear there is no joy in driving it?/
WTF is that??? I guess its a POS than because red-lining it "every-gear" will be as often as Christmas. Get a clue.
you know, it's not that hard to redline 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th gears. just.. keep your foot down and hand off the upshift paddle...

I have fun redlining my car in second and third on the onramps to the freeway nearly everyday, of course, it's no E55 or M, and it's only a 5 spd, but sure is fun.

If the M5 is just "a fugly sedan that pretends to be a racecar," then what is the E55? I might as well call it Merc's pathetic attempt to build an M5. :p
Old 09-11-2004, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Lov2xlr8
you think AMG cant get more then 476hp on a 5.5 liter? whats 493hp on the SL, CL and sclasses and 624hp on the SLR with the same engine?

Point is they are using forced induction to achieve those numbers. BMW is NA. I am sorry but in my world that is way more impressive.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
The point is they (MB/AMG) are CHOOSING to use forced induction. Theres a difference. If MB/AMG wanted to build a high power NA motor, they could. But as it happens, they dont seem to feel it necessary and I for one am not complaining.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:00 AM

The point is they (MB/AMG) are CHOOSING to use forced induction. Theres a difference. If MB/AMG wanted to build a high power NA motor, they could. But as it happens, they dont seem to feel it necessary and I for one am not complaining.
In all honesty i think BMW would produce a better FI engine than MB a high revving NA engine. Why else did MB goto FI on the C32 and E55 because they found it hard to compete with the M3 and M5 using a NA engine. There's nothing wrong with FI, those are just my thoughts on why they went to FI, interesting to notice a few more NA vehicles under the AMG name are appearing too which is good to see. It is far more difficult to produce a high revving engine and achieve reliability than to FI an engine as BMW have found.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
As a 2004 E55 owner, I find it hard to warm up to the CLS55. To me the CLS is all about style and little about substance (similar to the new BMW designs), except perhaps the wider tires for better traction in the CLS55 compared to the E55.

The M5, I'm no. 1 on the waiting list but I'm not too crazy about the looks. It may have the handling of a king but it sure looks like a drag queen. Added on top the poor ergonomics (poorly designed iDrive knob and unusable telematics) and the way too many buttons (suspension, engine power, traction control, SMG modes), I have much doubts.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:19 AM

Turbo
Originally Posted by Eleanor Owner
No doubt about it...BMW failed in its goal to match or even beat the E55 with its '05 M5. A valiant attempt but a pathetic outcome. Next time guys....next time.

How did BMW fail? Looks - yes What else? A pathetic outcome??! Have you driven the M5? How many do you know of that has driven it? I have read about ONE person that has even sat in one..

Regarding the SMG. How can you guys say it's crap when your argument is "I've been in an M3 with SMG and it sucks" I got a ride in a 69' Ford Fairline and that auto took like 4sec to shift and therefore, the auto tranny in the new Mondeo is just as bad... A bit exaggerated I know but the SMGIII isn't even close to SMGII. It's a whole new tranny. Regarding the jerkiness, there are 11 different "modes" for the SMG (both the SMGII and SMGIII), 6 for sequential (sp?) and 5 for auto, where the first mode allows slow but smooth shifts and mode 6 is fast and harsh. Try shifting fast with a manual without getting that "jerk".

My point, don't flame something when you don't know anything about it..
Old 09-11-2004, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ehh... i'll take a Carrera GT over an Enzo

SLR for me though :p
Old 09-11-2004, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LifeDies
Point is they are using forced induction to achieve those numbers. BMW is NA. I am sorry but in my world that is way more impressive.
it doesn't matter how the horses are made, as long as they are made

Is the Skyline GTR engine impressive enough for u because it uses FI and will known to be one of the best engines ever made
Old 09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

If MB/AMG wanted to build a high power NA motor, they could.
I think there will be a high power NA from Benz very soon. I read somewhere that the engine used in forthcoming baby McLaren will be used by Benz
Old 09-11-2004, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Kain
BMW is making a Z10 with the M5 V10 engine.

Guys do you see Z10 around? Noooooooooo Until they release one, Mercedes will produce flying machines lol.....
Old 09-11-2004, 01:36 PM

I know its crazy...haha

Originally Posted by Cannis
what the hell...2 piston breaks in the front?
Mark....Email me!!! shelbyspeer@yahoo.com
Old 09-11-2004, 04:02 PM

e55 and the new m5 are both great cars, as much as I love my E55 with an extra 80HP, I am also on the list for the new M5.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:09 PM

SLK55 AMG

whats your bad experience with the damn 745 dude?
Old 09-11-2004, 04:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by SLK55_AMG
whats your bad experience with the damn 745 dude?
Well it was 2002 one of the first ones in Toronto, and it was ok for a while, then i started getting flat tires measage all the time, then my Idrive started to balck out, they changed my transmition, lots of spark missfires, I dont remember all the other details, i wrote BMW Canada, they gave me some lame answer, then i wanted to sue them, but decided not to waste my time...and sold it to some guy, He sold it after 6 month of driving got a new one tho...so i'm not going back to BMW anytime soon....Soon I'm goign to trade in my ML55 to CLK55 or E55.... I think they are perfect gorgeous cars!!!
Old 09-11-2004, 05:42 PM

W208 CLK320
Well it was 2002 one of the first ones in Toronto, and it was ok for a while, then i started getting flat tires measage all the time, then my Idrive started to balck out, they changed my transmition, lots of spark missfires, I dont remember all the other details, i wrote BMW Canada, they gave me some lame answer, then i wanted to sue them, but decided not to waste my time...
There are also hundreds of "horror stories" for the S-Class... every once in awhile, you get a bad apple when you buy German.
Old 09-11-2004, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Talos
There are also hundreds of "horror stories" for the S-Class... every once in awhile, you get a bad apple when you buy German.

Not as much as new 7...
Old 09-11-2004, 06:49 PM

you know, it's not that hard to redline 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th gears. just.. keep your foot down and hand off the upshift paddle...

I have fun redlining my car in second and third on the onramps to the freeway nearly everyday, of course, it's no E55 or M, and it's only a 5 spd, but sure is fun.

If the M5 is just "a fugly sedan that pretends to be a racecar," then what is the E55? I might as well call it Merc's pathetic attempt to build an M5. :p

First: your quote;
" The joy of driving an M car is to redline it in every gear, and listen to the engine sing."

Every ricer with fart-can for exhaust is EXPERIENCING tremendous JOY when they redline their Civics. THe joy of red-lining is not UNIQUE to any particular car. Therefore it does not add anything new to the description in your quote.

Second:
E55 is a beautiful car that will leave you in da dust whether you red-line or not . Pure and simple.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Edmunds First Drive: 06 M5