W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Small dragstrip off Rte. 80 in NJ???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2004 | 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Small dragstrip off Rte. 80 in NJ???

My neighbor told me of a small dragstrip somewhere near the water gap that is usually a lot less crowded than ET. Since Bridgehampton is now closed I was looking for a place to take my car. Anyone know the name/phone number of this place?
Old 09-10-2004 | 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
It is called Island Dragway in Great Meadows.

From NYC: Rt 80 west to exit 19. Bottom of ramp make left. Go approximately 6 miles into Hackettstown, make a right onto Rt. 46 West (Main St.) and follow for approx. 7 miles. Entrance to the track will be on the right hand side, just past Cannonball's Go-Go.

Telephone
(908) 637-6060 during the week
(908) 637-6536 during race hours only
Old 09-10-2004 | 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
thanks
Old 09-12-2004 | 01:40 PM

Have you driven your E55 in the snow? Winter tires? Thinking to get. Live in NJ. Want as a year round car. Currently drive M5 year round with appropriate winter wheels/tires.
Old 09-12-2004 | 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by pnoble
Have you driven your E55 in the snow? Winter tires? Thinking to get. Live in NJ. Want as a year round car. Currently drive M5 year round with appropriate winter wheels/tires.
Hi paul, we have been e-mailing each other the last few days! Sounds like you weren't impressed with your test drive? I was certain you would put it between your M5 and your past 745's "feel" wise.
Old 09-12-2004 | 10:01 PM

Chris,

I e-mailed you back a couple of times but got a 'message box full' bounceback, so didn't know if you had received my replies.

The car is of course wonderful in so many ways, and contrary to reviews I have read, I had no problem with the braking at all. My only real disappointment was with the steering which I found rather 'lifeless', certainly by comparison with an M5.

Of course the character of the M5 and E55 are so very different with very different customer focus. But certainly from the exterior the E55 seems to follow in the E39 M5 tradition, and then some, in terms of 'wolf in sheep's clothing' understatement, not to mention elegance. I find the total MB line just wonderfully designed, while BMW is being Bangelized.

Chris, what is your take on the winter/snow issue?
Old 09-13-2004 | 08:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by pnoble
Chris,

I e-mailed you back a couple of times but got a 'message box full' bounceback, so didn't know if you had received my replies.

The car is of course wonderful in so many ways, and contrary to reviews I have read, I had no problem with the braking at all. My only real disappointment was with the steering which I found rather 'lifeless', certainly by comparison with an M5.

Of course the character of the M5 and E55 are so very different with very different customer focus. But certainly from the exterior the E55 seems to follow in the E39 M5 tradition, and then some, in terms of 'wolf in sheep's clothing' understatement, not to mention elegance. I find the total MB line just wonderfully designed, while BMW is being Bangelized.

Chris, what is your take on the winter/snow issue?
Paul, First of all thanks for the e-mail heads up. that's not good! I probably got a hundred e-mails that are not getting to me so far today. I don't think you would have any problem in winter with proper tires. Eddie Knopp answered in one of the other posts. There are plenty of others who use this as their daily driver. If I didn't have a company car, it would be mine also. MB really needs to get this steering "feel" improved.