Sponsored by:

Headlight question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2021, 06:17 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
W212 E550 4Matic, W211 E55 AMG
Headlight question

I am about to change the lenses and projectors. My drivers side headlight doesn't auto level. The right side does. I got this code (pic attached) What do I need to buy since I will have the headlight apart and might as well change it. Thanks

Old 06-23-2021, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts
mgLipGD
Originally Posted by greekstylist
I am about to change the lenses and projectors. My drivers side headlight doesn't auto level. The right side does. I got this code (pic attached) What do I need to buy since I will have the headlight apart and might as well change it. Thanks
could be a worn wire. When you take them apart check for bare wire. Also don’t be surprised if more of them start falling apart once you move them around some. Mine are apart for facelift inner chrome, Morimoto EVO projectors, and Osram CBB bulbs. Once I got them apart realized had many wire issues so in the process of getting me pins to rewire and repin to like new before put back together. Mine are active curve light so you may only have the main inner wires to deal with vs the motor to move them with steering wheel.

Old 06-23-2021, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 674 Likes on 460 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
That's awful. Someone was just complaining about how bad the wiring is on those Hella units....that sure confirms that. I was going to upgrade to CBB for my long road trip next week and you certainly talked me out of it. Probably saved me a lot of hassle. I'll deal with it when I know I'll have the time to fix it right. Unless my wiring is pristine but that seems unlikely....
Old 06-23-2021, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Holy crap. I’ve read about how bad the wires could be in the headlights but wow. That is horrible! Makes me wonder about mine.

I have 50-60 year old VWs that have better wiring than that. Lol
Old 06-24-2021, 03:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
W212 E550 4Matic, W211 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by black06c230
could be a worn wire. When you take them apart check for bare wire. Also don’t be surprised if more of them start falling apart once you move them around some. Mine are apart for facelift inner chrome, Morimoto EVO projectors, and Osram CBB bulbs. Once I got them apart realized had many wire issues so in the process of getting me pins to rewire and repin to like new before put back together. Mine are active curve light so you may only have the main inner wires to deal with vs the motor to move them with steering wheel.

Thanks for the reply. I am also going to do the evo projectors. Please post pics when you complete!!
Old 06-24-2021, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by greekstylist
Thanks for the reply. I am also going to do the evo projectors. Please post pics when you complete!!

Will do. I’m in a holding pattern for my friend to get some pins for the harness from the MB factory and come over to assist in redoing all the wires we can. Should be a few more weeks as this car is not a daily and sits more than anything.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by tlambert
Holy crap. I’ve read about how bad the wires could be in the headlights but wow. That is horrible! Makes me wonder about mine.

I have 50-60 year old VWs that have better wiring than that. Lol

Well I think un-disturbed the wires will be mostly fine but flexing and moving around taking the light apart and moving the stuff around inside them made it as bad as it looks. That being said if you don’t mess opening them and they are working fine as is no issues. If you plan to open and mod be prepared to fix wires and it now be a major redo and time water. So plan accordingly.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by kevm14
That's awful. Someone was just complaining about how bad the wiring is on those Hella units....that sure confirms that. I was going to upgrade to CBB for my long road trip next week and you certainly talked me out of it. Probably saved me a lot of hassle. I'll deal with it when I know I'll have the time to fix it right. Unless my wiring is pristine but that seems unlikely....

If you are simply swapping in new bulbs like the amazing CBB I would still swap them out as should be an issue with doing that. Love the CBBs in our GL and esp the LR3 that I did a simple lens swap on. The LR3 uses the same HELLA E55 projector and it was as nice as the LED headlights on our G wagon. I expect the E will be very similar to the LR3 once done or a little better. The stock E bowl is more of a matte silver reflective vs shiny chrome in the LR3 version and the new EVOs I’m putting in. Oddly thr CBB look nothing like the LR3. Unsure why other than course projector design and it’s D1S vs D2S bulb. 🤷🏻‍♂️

LR3 with lens/spacer/CBB vs stock lens and CBI bulb

Old 06-25-2021, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Yeah I agree with you on leaving them as is for now.

Hey I don’t want to highjack this thread. But BTW post updates in your thread about what’s happening with your E

Last edited by tlambert; 06-25-2021 at 12:10 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mgLipGD
Originally Posted by tlambert
Yeah I agree with you on leaving them as is for now.

Hey I do t want to highjack this thread. But BTW post updates in your thread about what’s happening with your E

Yeah I keep meaning to update the thread. In short car is back home and course alternator now needs to be replaced. The one part we didn’t do after $24k in repairs. 🤬🤦🏻‍♂️🤬🤦🏻‍♂️ So it’s just sitting in the garage on a charger with the bumper and lights off. I am thinking to place the crap Depo lights on it next week and limp it to my buddy’s shop close by to get the work done vs having it picked up and taken back over to ATL for them to do.

I will update that thread in the coming days few pics once it was dropped off at its soon to be 3rd home of Classic Car Motoring for body repairs. Then took it home as they would be busy until July so I could do stuff like the headlights and more I will update in the main thread of the car.