Vapor Canister Replacement 211-470-01-59

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2021, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 981 Likes on 763 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Vapor Canister Replacement 211-470-01-59

Symptoms: fuel tank would take approximately two gallons of gas, pump nozzle would shut off, wait several seconds, then begin adding fuel, nozzle shuts off, wait several seconds, lather, rinse, repeat.
Diagnosis: Bad vapor canister or vapor canister valve.

Part number for the US-spec emissions vapor canister is 211-470-01-59. I bought a used one off of Ebay for $110. New price is ~$350 but my local dealer's inquiry showed only four in stock in the US and none of those dealers were willing to let loose of what they had; thus the Ebay purchase.

Remove fender liner, disconnect electrical connector, release spring clamp on large top hose (leads to gas tank) but do not remove hose yet. Use rubber mallet (I also used a small pry bar to assist) in knocking the cannister upward to release from the three catches in back (Photo below shows what the canister mounting tabs look like). I used a Dremel cutoff wheel to remove the lower one-time use clamp on the hose to the line leading to the engine. Remove lower and upper hose and remove canister. Connect hoses to the replacement canister and install clamps. It was slightly tricky to align the canister tabs with the mounting bracket in the blind but, after several attempts, I did get it in place. Reconnect electrical connector. Reinstall fender liner.

EDIT: don't do like I did and attempt to use the heel of your palm to knock the canister upwards. As I discovered, the sheet metal heat shield under the canister is sharp! I sliced open the heel of my hand on the sheet metal and that was when I went with the rubber mallet and easy use of a small pry bar (it takes both as the sheet metal will just bend before the canister comes loose).

The fuel tank now takes fuel with no issue. It appears to be a bad solenoid activated canister valve on the defective canister I removed.

Some additional details in this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...e-testing.html
Note this other thread's original vapor canister is NOT the one in the E55. Both of my vapor canisters (my original failed '05 version and the used '04 version) have the vertical connection on the top of the vapor canister.

When in doubt for parts, go here:
http://mbepc.net/

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-29-2021 at 03:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
mbmg (06-26-2021), Saurabh914 (06-26-2021)
Old 06-26-2021, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 216 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Nice write up and good to know info
Old 06-26-2021, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 674 Likes on 460 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Geez I just refueled my car and it did this.....sigh
Old 06-26-2021, 08:39 PM

Received 151 Likes on 107 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
I already have an Ebay cannister in hand for our GL63, typical it finally filled a full tank without issues right after it came (but that is a 10% chance at best). Good to know a used one worked for you, I made a similar call based on costs and frequency of failure. If it takes 2 or 3 more tries it will still be half the cost of new.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 981 Likes on 763 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Update:
-the solenoid activated valve checked out good. Problem was a clogged outlet on the vapor canister. Cleaned the outlet and the canister now functions so it looks like I have a spare. I intend for this to assist others so they can save some money. The valve is in the "open" position when unpowered. Applying 12 volts shuts the valve. With no power, one should be able to plug the bottom tube (leads to the intake manifold) and blow through the vapor canister fuel tank connection (vertical connection) or the valve connection (ribbed outlet). Since a new valve is ~$150, this is a way to test and possibly correct the issue without spending a lot of money.

-Press release tab down, then twist and remove the valve.

-Test the valve using a 12 volt supply. Yellow wire here is positive, white wire is negative. With no power, one should be able to blow through the valve. With power, one should not be able to blow through the valve.

-Valve worked fine. Problem was this outlet/inlet portion of the canister was literally caked with an impervious layer of dust/dirt/debris that sealed the canister off from the outside. This photo is after I used a screwdriver to scrape off the layer of dirt. After doing so, I reattached the valve, sealed off the lower connection (to the intake manifold), and could blow through the inlet from the fuel tank and feel/hear the air exiting the valve on the canister.
The following 2 users liked this post by bbirdwell:
Brownmagic (12-14-2023), Pmarino (07-09-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 674 Likes on 460 Posts
04 E55 AMG (totaled), 07 S550 4Matic, 14 E63S
Originally Posted by kevm14
Geez I just refueled my car and it did this.....sigh
Lucky for me this has not happened again. 1,3xx miles since I last posted.
Old 12-19-2021, 11:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes Benz E55 AMG
Originally Posted by bbirdwell
Update:
-the solenoid activated valve checked out good. Problem was a clogged outlet on the vapor canister. Cleaned the outlet and the canister now functions so it looks like I have a spare. I intend for this to assist others so they can save some money. The valve is in the "open" position when unpowered. Applying 12 volts shuts the valve. With no power, one should be able to plug the bottom tube (leads to the intake manifold) and blow through the vapor canister fuel tank connection (vertical connection) or the valve connection (ribbed outlet). Since a new valve is ~$150, this is a way to test and possibly correct the issue without spending a lot of money.

-Press release tab down, then twist and remove the valve.

-Test the valve using a 12 volt supply. Yellow wire here is positive, white wire is negative. With no power, one should be able to blow through the valve. With power, one should not be able to blow through the valve.

-Valve worked fine. Problem was this outlet/inlet portion of the canister was literally caked with an impervious layer of dust/dirt/debris that sealed the canister off from the outside. This photo is after I used a screwdriver to scrape off the layer of dirt. After doing so, I reattached the valve, sealed off the lower connection (to the intake manifold), and could blow through the inlet from the fuel tank and feel/hear the air exiting the valve on the canister.

Thanks for your post! Did you get any code for when you were having this issue? I'm getting a P0446 vent control circuit code and also fuel coming back out when I fill