Sponsored by:

2007 E63 advanced cam timing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2021, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 S55 AMG 1998 E430
2007 E63 advanced cam timing

I've posted before, and I've just now received my vehicle back after it sitting for 4 months with a shotty mechanic, but the vehicle is stil lthrowing P0011, P0024, P0021, etc all for advanced camshaft timing issues. It runs and drives, doesn't seem to have a big noticeable loss in power, and only a slight rough idle. I've been told it will most likely be the variable valve timing solenoids or the camshaft position sensors themselves. Any ideas from anyone else?
Old 09-02-2021, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I would take it to a reputable Benz mechanic to have it properly diagnosed, before you start throwing money at it.
It's easy to fix the issue once you know what it truly is.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,924 Likes on 3,090 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Rshann5355
I've posted before, and I've just now received my vehicle back after it sitting for 4 months with a shotty mechanic, but the vehicle is stil lthrowing P0011, P0024, P0021, etc all for advanced camshaft timing issues. It runs and drives, doesn't seem to have a big noticeable loss in power, and only a slight rough idle. I've been told it will most likely be the variable valve timing solenoids or the camshaft position sensors themselves. Any ideas from anyone else?
@Rshann5355 how much have you used the search feature on the site for this?

Possibilities:

timing chain stretch
bad chain tensioner
bad cam adjuster
bad cam solenoid
bad cam position sensor

Old 12-10-2021, 11:53 AM

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
07' E63
I wrote this on another Cam Adjuster related post and thought it might be applicable to your dilemma.

I bought my 2007 E63 in 2017. The day I drove it back after taking possession of it from a body shop (it had a smiley face gouge from mirror to mirror in front of the hood emblem!) the guys there warned me they used whatever tester they had that gave them codes pointing to the transmission? I didn’t have Star/DAS yet, so I drove it home and noticed that as it got up to normal operating temperature, it became harder to downshift that it had while cold when starting out, or normal throttle for that matter, as temps were getting higher made it difficult to downshift!

By the time I pulled into my garage 5 miles away, the idle was revving at 1200 rpm! So in addition to rough shifting, I knew I must have an Air Intake problem, so I started taking it apart starting with the intake and when I noticed the Carbon buildup on the intake runners, I mulled over the idea of media blasting but in the end I removed both Heads and had them rebuilt by Xtreme Heads in Palm City, Fl. They did an amazing job using only a couple of their killer high tech machines to set the Valves and do the rest. They measured the Springs and only a couple really needed to be replaced but they found that 8 of 16 Intake Valves were bent! I never would have “picked up” on that because even rolling them on a table, you can’t tell?

I had the Intake Rebuilt by RMT and they used their beefed up Throttle Body Plenum after informing me mine was riddled with holes which would explain the high idle! Those little nubs on the top side of the intake which serve to secure the Air Pipe with little lock washer type thingy’s were all disintegrated! So RMT hooked me up with a top half that was in much better shape than mine was!

I never got a breakdown as to which Head was effected as to the bent Valves but upon the rebuild, using new Headbolts, Gaskets etc., I noticed that the Cam Adjusters wouldn’t mount to the Camshaft as it properly should? It turns out whoever did work on it previously had removed the Cam Adjusters on the Passenger Side and taken them apart, and inserted the interior parts, which rotate or lock in place with that little barrel shaped pin, the wrong way! In other words, they flipped over the interior “gear” so that the locking pin was facing the smooth face rather than the side with the indent to receive the Pin! Idiots!

In effect when put back together what that did was make the side that faces the Camshaft face the bolt and thus not able to seat up against that Diamond washer because the circular recess on that side is too small to allow the cam shaft to fully seat! Without it being supported underneath by the Crank Gear and Bolted to the Camshaft, it clearly wobbles!! After viewing Tasos video, I took them all apart and confirmed this crazy mishap! Moreover, because it wouldn’t snug up to the Diamond Washer, that means the gears of the Cam Adjuster were barely engaging the Crank Gear much less the unseated Cams couldn't have kept proper timing! Not only that, after confirming serial numbers on each Cam Adjuster, I determined that the Intake CA was on the Exhaust Cam and visa-versa! Talk about a potentially catastrophic situation! Unbelievable!

Of course you can’t see any of this without removing both the Valve Cover and the Cam Adjuster Cover to notice if the teeth below the Cam Adjuster line up flush, as they should, with the Crank Gear below it. So before jumping to conclusions one way or another, make sure some bonehead didn’t do to your Ride what they inadvertently did to mine before my taking possession! Yikes! Of course I didn’t get Star/DAS until after initiating this engine rebuild and before doing “Any” work on my suspension, so I never got the proper “fault” codes before taking it all apart and rebuilding it, but all I can say is this engine for all its engineering faults and marvels otherwise is fairly straightforward to work on and brings a smile to your face as you gradually recognize the engineering that went into building this massive power plant.

When the Heads are off after you spend the time cleaning the tops of each piston, it dawns on you how big the engine really is! And when you get the Heads back rebuilt all shiny and new looking taking in the underside with its 32 valves on a newly planed decks, rebuilding each Head on the bench with SLS Black Tappets, you just can’t wait to get it back together to feel that power! Add to that the pride instilled into one doing their own work to realize the ultimate success having made numerous faults along the way is priceless! The newly rebuilt suspension and adding a 3.06 Ring and Pinion makes it an even more responsive Beast!
The following users liked this post:
michobebe (04-08-2023)