Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Autocar E55 vs M5

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by krispykrme
1. True. But what would make you believe that M5 owner would not leave their car in same setting as well.

2. Actually I do buy their argument on this. Because I had problem in wet traction with my M3 and I had nearly lost control twice while making a very slow turn at startup with my rear spinning. (Both occured after I got off the highway and was waiting to make a turn at stop light onto the road). M3 with 19in pilot in rain is a horrible combination, combined with CA rain its even worse.

3. Yes. But when I owned my M3, I had never left my car in anything other than S6 (except when wife is driving and she left it in A5). So point does not make sense.

The only thing that I believe that I would change on some what regular basis would be the power button and S/A mode (which is two click). (The change for me will be influenced by weather, and to not allow my wife screw with the car).

You are making the argument basing on that everything would needed to be change when M5 owner is driving the M5, while the E55 driver would not be any change.

I believe this is a fallacy in the argument.

BTW, for W211 E55, there is 3 mode for the transmission. S- sport, C- economy, and M- for manual.
The E55 driver never needs to change any setting to get full power. The M5 driver will only get 80% power whenever he/she starts the car, this is the truth.

Which is more simple?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by W210
The E55 driver never needs to change any setting to get full power. The M5 driver will only get 80% power whenever he/she starts the car, this is the truth.

Which is more simple?
Yes it is the truth. But you are talking about one button. So it is so complicated that it would mean the end of the world? I do not think so.

during this message I have pressed way more than one key, so i guess this must mean the end of the world right?
Old 09-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Almost a Member!

99 Corvette, 04 BMW M3 (Wife's car), 04 Mercedes E55.
I really dont get this kind of banter.. I put my E55 in drive and step on the gas... I leave the settings alone and just enjoy the ride... what a beautiful car all the way around.. looks, handling, over all performance. It's a sedan for cry'in out loud... one of the best I have ever been in. Am I the only E55 owner that actually doesnt drive this car to it's maximum limit everytime I drive to the office? I'm sure the M5 when it is finally here will be an awesome car too. (But even the most diehard BMW fan has to agree.. it is one FUGLY car.)
Old 09-16-2004, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 W210 E55->2003 R230 SL500->2004 W211 E55->2007 997TT+2007 E63->2010 GLK350->2012 E550 4matic
Yes, it is a treat everytime I drive the E55. The effortless performance combined with the elegant design that screams quality all around.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:15 PM

It's funny that so many personens can tell what is good or not good on the M5. You guys have never driven one, right?

If you guys were like 50 or 60 years old then I can understand the complaint. But come on, how hard can it be to push a button.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:35 PM

04 E55
Yes, it is a treat everytime I drive the E55. The effortless performance combined with the elegant design that screams quality all around.
Quality- not really. I had problem with E55 that was just resolved not too long ago. I had problem with the M5 as well. So quality issue for me was a wash.

Yes, I am glad that your E55 is perfect and has no quality issues. But not everyone has that luck.

Although I am anticipating that I will have some issues with the new M5 as well, I don't think E55 is bullet proof either. If this were a lexus vs BMW/Mercedes comparison on the quality side, I will probably support comment such as lexus screams quality all around. But this is DCX not Toyota. Talking about quality on DCX product is obsurd especially we still have the SBC recall on our head.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:59 PM

04 E55
BTW- I am not claiming that BMW quality is better than DCX. Nor I am saying that M5 is a better car than E55.

I am simply stating my opinion as an E55 owner that E55's quality is not bullet proof and do not think that "screams quality all around" makes any sense what so ever.

I have never realize that stating a simple opinion would now require disclaimer every time as post on here always get twisted into some kind of bashing one way or other. This is obsurd.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Just_me
It's funny that so many personens can tell what is good or not good on the M5. You guys have never driven one, right?

If you guys were like 50 or 60 years old then I can understand the complaint. But come on, how hard can it be to push a button.
You know, it doesn't matter if any of them have ever driven one or not.

Don't you see the trend? Before any data, reviews were out, they were so confident about how the E55 is going to dust the E60 M5 (in a straight line). Then with some data from BMW, plus some reviews from a few european mag, they go those are bull or they gotta wait for an American mag and comparison test at same place, same condition for them to believe. Lets assume the E60 M5 ended up on top, they will go, so what, I perfer luxury, better appearance, MB brand image, effortless performance etc...etc...

Come on guys, these 2 cars are born to be competitor to each other, would you see C&D put a Honda Civic up against your mighty E55 for a comparison test? or a KIA up against the M5? I think it is nonsense, childish and silly every single time anyone bring up a logic comparison between the 2, you guys will go all insane. I came down to conclusion that you people bought your AMG E55 not for the love of its performance, luxury or whatever you are going to claim but because you bought a AMG for it is a AMG, you bought the E55 because you can go around and tell people you could beat a 360 between lights in a 4 door. For you saying you are not going to spend this amount of money buying a 5 series interior, one can say when he is not going to accept a car with just decent handling.

You guys should first prepare to accept the fact that you proudly owned E55 will be beaten by the new M5, as I turely believe BMW will not release a car that is slower than the current E55. Second, you guys should accept the fact that we are all different person with different preferences. Learn to respect others' opinion before you expect others to respect yours.

Just my thought after quietly following MBworld and M5board for over 6 months.

Mike

Last edited by MikeHK; 09-16-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by MikeHK
Don't you see the trend? Before any data, reviews were out, they were so confident about how the E55 is going to dust the E60 M5 (in a straight line). Then with some data from BMW, plus some reviews from a few european mag, they go those are bull

You guys should first prepare to accept the fact that you proudly owned E55 will be beaten by the new M5, as I turely believe BMW will not release a car that is slower than the current E55.

Mike
Where is the data Mike, published and confirmed, where, mike? "Dont you see the trend?" The only "some data" as of today 9-16-2004 out there that would suggest anything is your : "I turely believe BMW will not release a car that is slower than the current E55. "
Because if data is out than there is no more reason to just believe, Mike, the day it happans its OFFICIAL you can put "I belive" up your a$$, clown.
Also lets say tomorrow 9-17-2004 autocar publishes

0-62 & 1/4
M5: 4.58 12.61
E55: 4.92 12.89

than anybody just mentions the more than one yo data from R&T with E55 AMG of 0-60 @4.2 and 1/4 mile 12.4@116.4mph=186.24km/h because according to you: "they go those are bull or they gotta wait for an American mag and comparison test at same place, same condition for them to believe." I'm prepared to accept R&T's numbers right now my friend so that should take care of your loony concern quoted right above.

And what do we have than , Mike? "Do you see the trend?" Who should "prepare to accept" and how do you do it in the first place? Please explaine what does preparation to "accept" is made of?

How did you prepare yourself for registering and posting this " after quietly following MBworld and M5board for over 6 months." Should have kept quiet, Mike. If you believe that "BMW will not release a car that is slower than the current E55.", than for you it was true 6 month ago as it is today. BS changes nothing about E55 or M5, Mike. When BS in any form and shape stops than we will know what anybody shoud prepare to accept.
Start making sence quiet for 6 month fellow.

Last edited by Belmondo; 09-16-2004 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 03:13 PM
M&M

Guys c'mon, use some intelligence. You can't compare times from different places. Autocar uses a dusty airfield & never prepares the surface.

US mags & dragstrips like Englishtown have well-prepared surfaces.
Eg, Autocar got the E$6 1/4 mile in 13.7.
Road & track got 13.1
A guy at Englishtown ran 12.8 in a stock M3.

This is just to illustrate that the can be up to a second difference in time from Englishtown to Autocar's airfield.

Besides that who knows what temp, etc was on the day.

The point is that Autocar tested an E55 & M5 side by side on the same day, on the same surface with the same driver.

Maybe if the M5 runs at Englishtown it will get 11's. Highly unlikely, but untill it is tested at the same place where the E55 ran those numbers, one simply cannot tell. And a grippy surface will benefit a manual more than an auto, as one can rev higher to take advantage of better traction.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by M&M
Guys c'mon, use some intelligence. You can't compare times from different places. Autocar uses a dusty airfield & never prepares the surface.

Road & track got 13.1

This is just to illustrate that the can be up to a second difference in time from Englishtown to Autocar's airfield.

The point is that Autocar tested an E55 & M5 side by side on the same day, on the same surface with the same driver.

Maybe if the M5 runs at Englishtown it will get 11's. Highly unlikely, but untill it is tested at the same place where the E55 ran those numbers, one simply cannot tell. And a grippy surface will benefit a manual more than an auto, as one can rev higher to take advantage of better traction.

I 'm sure that the new M5 is faster than E55. I cant see BMW releasing a new M5 that is slower than current E55. Dont make sense.
And the comparison in Autocar, I dont believe the numbers until I read the test myself. But have no doubts its true but afterall seeing is believing.

And some people are comparing E55 to M5. They search for the best result and than compare it the the M5. E55 has been tested several times, M5 only one time so I dont understand why they are comparing already. And also, If the cars haven't been tested at the same time, its useless to compare. Acceleration tests depends on many things, like air pressure, asphalt temperature, air temperature, roadconditions and the of course the driver. So if the cars haven't been tested at the same time, comparing is useless.

And I honestly dont know why everyone are so obsessed with accelerations numbers. 500 hp is enough for everyone.

Last edited by Just_me; 09-16-2004 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:14 PM

yawn.......... faced with the R&T numbers of E55 the soul searching for M5 excuses begings......

To quote one of you registered in the last 24 hours to express your " I believe" here please do not be : " immature, hot-headed and pathetic " in accepting E55 faster time PUBLISHED by the R&T over new M5 numbers to be posted whenever.

What the hell ------let hte excuses begin my newly registered friends............

Last edited by Belmondo; 09-16-2004 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:06 PM

[QUOTE=Belmondo]

To quote one of you registered in the last 24 hours to express your " I believe" here please do not be : " immature, hot-headed and pathetic " in accepting E55 faster time PUBLISHED by the R&T over new M5 numbers to be posted whenever.
QUOTE]

This just shows how little you know about cars.
Just so you know, a few other internetforums has no clue whats wrong with you. They are laughing at you.
You even attacking mercedesfans. Just shows how immature you are and one sided you are.
Old 09-16-2004, 05:58 PM

This just shows how little you know about cars.
Just so you know, a few other internetforums has no clue whats wrong with you. They are laughing at you.
You even attacking mercedesfans. Just shows how immature you are and one sided you are.

M5board has much easier time with this topic simply because there are no 5-6 new members popping up there ( like you do here) and posting BS like "E55 is faster than new M5------prepare to accept it". "E55 is hte KING".

THey are as divided on this topic as any ohter. THey argue and htey definitly have a few clown's like you there as well : Example

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, 15:44 #7
M5manny
Senior Member (>500)

View My Car!

Re: AutoCar M5 vs E55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimbus
Can't confirm it but here it is.

Autocar: here is the result from the comparison:

E55
0-100 km/h in 4.92
1/4 mile in 12.89 @ 173 km/h
1km in 23.8 @ 233 km/h

M5
0-100 in 4.58
1/4 mile in 12.61 @ 185 km/h

I think those numbers are rigged.I have seen and filmed, a stock, brand new(temporary in the rear window) E55 run a 4.2 to 60 and qtr mile in 12.6 @111MPH. It was at last years Englishtown AMG challenge that I set up. Further more, I have spoken to several very reputable Dyno tuning firms and they have dyno'd a few stock E55's and the numbers at the wheels are between 425-450 wheel HP. That's 500+BHP.

Now, granted the New M5 is truly untested (Yet) but it's alot closer than before. I think the new M5 has alot of work to do in a strait line to catch the E55.The handeling is better, it doesn't use Superchargers to make it's power, ETC,ETC, but out on the highway it doesn't matter who's got what under the hood, it's who wins!
Powerchip Gold 93
Active Autowerkes CAI
Full Supersprint Exhaust w/X pipe
Evosport Diff 3.45 40% Lock up
Autosolutions SSK
KW Coilovers Varient 3
BBS LM w/SO3 and 285 out back
Alot more mods, but can't list all.
Last edited by M5manny : Yesterday at 15:45.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

and response from a dude like you that is just registered there, here we go:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
seckindogan
Junior Member, warming up (<31 posts)

View My Car!

Re: AutoCar M5 vs E55
When you check the e55 amg website you see the back of the e55 and you can reed this:

"this is what the bmw drivers see"......................

YEAH RIGHT!!!

The M5 blows away the amg.

And it also can not match with our design.

M5 RULES!!!!!
------------------------------------------------------------------------

There you have it, clown.

Link to all this "mature" goodness.....

I know you are young and clueless but I'm just trying to help you here.
My last post my young friend, find someone else to help you with you half-baked ideas.

Last edited by Belmondo; 09-16-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by Belmondo
yawn.......... faced with the R&T numbers of E55 the soul searching for M5 excuses begings......

What the hell ------let hte excuses begin my newly registered friends............
Belmondo, you need to cool down.

First of all, YOU made the FIRST EXCUSE for the E55 by bringing in R&T numbers. M&M already refuted your excuse; please read his post again.

Originally Posted by M&M

Road & track got 13.1

He did not make any excuses for the M5, instead, he contrentrated on how different conditions can affect a car's performance--ANY car.

Second of all, R&T tested 0-60, Autocar tested 0-62.

Third, if you believe that 4.9s 0-62mph isn't the best time for the E55, what makes you think that the 4.6s 0-62 is the best time for the M5?

I'm sure you already know, you simply can't just go grab the worst time for the M5, and compare it to the best time for the E55. If you want a comparsion to have any meaning at all, you have to take the two best times, the two worst times, the difference between the best and worst times (consistancy of runs), or even better, two times from the same magazine who tested the car on the same day with the same conditions using the same driver:

Old 09-16-2004, 06:28 PM

bla bla bla

dont have time to read all your BS.
Dont this forum have any moderators?

This place would be better place with those who can argue in a proper way. Those who behave childish should be banned or at least act like adults. Guys like Belmondo destroys for the real good members here. Thats a shame.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:31 PM

Last edited by Belmondo; 09-16-2004 at 06:40 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:36 PM

I 'm sure that the new M5 is faster than E55. I cant see BMW releasing a new M5 that is slower than current E55. Dont make sense. Bla, bla, bla

This place would be better place with those who can argue in a proper way. Those who behave childish should be banned or at least act like adults. Guys like Just Me destroys for the real good members here by registering to just post Just His BS and Thats a shame.

Last edited by Belmondo; 09-16-2004 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Than htere is no answer to the E55 or M5 dilemmmma, because who else drives on "dusty airfields" and who drives on "prepared tracks" all the time. There is no way to know wich car is faster isnt there?.
SO M5 is faster on dusty airfield but on hte fine German Autobahn E55 will pass M5?/ OK, AGREED!!!
Lets just read hte quote below than and stop this futile argument.

"but out on the highway it doesn't matter who's got what under the hood, it's who wins!"
You're still not being consistant though.

If the M5 is faster than an E55 on a dusty airfield, why wouldn't the same hold true on the autobahn?

If the dust on the airfield shaves off .7 seconds for the E55, why wouldn't it for the M5, making the M5 a 3.8s 0-60 car.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:42 PM

This place would be better place with those who can argue in a proper way. Those who behave childish should be banned or at least act like adults. Guys like Just Me destroys for the real good members here by registering to just post Just His BS and Thats a shame.
you cant even write your own posts. This just shows that you dont know much about cars, and that you cant discuss in a proper way.

Whatever, If your post make you feel better, fine with me. I dont have time to discuss with a child like you. Im sure here is more mature members than you.

Last edited by Just_me; 09-16-2004 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by makken85
Belmondo, you need to cool down.

First of all, YOU made the FIRST EXCUSE for the E55 by bringing in R&T numbers. M&M already refuted your excuse; please read his post again.

:
Than htere is no answer to the E55 or M5 dilemmmma, because who else drives on "dusty airfields" and who drives on "prepared tracks" all the time. There is no way to know wich car is faster isnt there?.
SO M5 is faster on dusty airfield but on hte fine German Autobahn E55 will pass M5?/ OK, AGREED!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by makken85
You're still not being consistant though.

If the M5 is faster than an E55 on a dusty airfield, why wouldn't the same hold true on the autobahn?

If the dust on the airfield shaves off .7 seconds for the E55, why wouldn't it for the M5, making the M5 a 3.8s 0-60 car.
"M5 a 3.8s 0-60 car" with that I will Agree. I believe that that is hte case.
Old 09-16-2004, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Than htere is no answer to the E55 or M5 dilemmmma
The buttom line is that this is an AMG forum and so the AMG will naturally be more popular.

To those who come here just to preach BMW, you're in for a dead cause!
Old 09-16-2004, 07:15 PM

04 E55
The buttom line is that this is an AMG forum and so the AMG will naturally be more popular.

To those who come here just to preach BMW, you're in for a dead cause!
I don't think anyone is preaching BMW. However, it seems that everyone here just twist the post into BMW preacher.

For example is the discusssion we had on M5 being too complicated.

I believe you started with the whole things with M-drive, EDC, DSC, S/A, and power setting on how difficult would it be to change. The original post by me was simply a FYI on the autocar tested number. Yet, people here have managed to twisted it to M5/E55 all out war.

I don't think I started to preach how good M5 will be and it will trounce the E55. Yet the response here started the comparison war. My response was simply to point out that the posts you made were inaccurate. So why is my post is a preacher for the new M5, while your post is not a preacher against new M5.

Things goes both way. When people here turned simple FYI on a set to test number into a biased negative preaching on the M5, people is going to come back and point out the error. You have to respect that. Because its not preaching how good the M5 is rather is to correct the errorneous information here.

Our conversation proves my point. People here started to twist information around and making false statement. E55 can be setup different and might take a longer time to switching setting around than the M5. But then you proceed to states that E55 owner would simply leave their setting alone and not do a change, while M5 owners need to jump throught the hoop. I was just stating otherwise.

Then this thing got dragged into quality of new M5 vs E55. And statement were made the E55 has such glorified quality behind it, while the new M5 would self destruct. So this is not preaching??? (funny thing is that W211 has not been trouble free, and we are still waiting for the damn SBC recall).

Come on! The more i read this board, the more this become my AMG Pexxs is bigger than BMW M pexxs. This is not what a forum should be about. You would think that people that can afford these type of car would be have less ego. This whole forum really sucks! There is no way to make a valid opinion without getting into these type of BS.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Porcelain Bus
First of all, krispykrme should be flogged for starting another pointless thread which has the sole purpose of inflaming this forum as did the stupid 10-15 car length thread from yesterday, in which he was a participant.

Second, I think Belmondo has said enough already. We know where his heart is.

Third, the M5 won't even hit our shores for another year. By then all the car mags will have published head to head comparisons. Will the M5 be superior, probably in many ways yes, but not in every way. Will the M5 be faster is every test of speed and performance? Probably yes for most, but not likely for all. Will a new M5 beat me around the track? Probably not since no one with an M5 seems to show up for track events, and even if they did, they'd have to be pretty good to turn in better lap times. Bottom line is, driving ability plays a big role in pushing a car to its maximum performance capabilities.

Lastly, they will both be great cars and one will be very slightly faster than the other. If the M5 turns out to be faster, would I trade in my E55 for it? Absolutely not.

I plead with the rational members of this forum, stop stupid threads like this which are just pissing contests between children who should be spending more time with their wives, family, or schoolwork rather than wasting time with such frivolity.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Autocar E55 vs M5