Help: Trouble with Satellite Radio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2021, 07:22 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Help: Trouble with Satellite Radio

Hello,

This thread may seem dated but I am trying to enable SiriusXM on my 2006 E55. The VIN shows code 536 for the full Sirius system (also listed on my windows sticker). The issue is when I press the SAT button I get the message with the Sirius phone # and ESN #. The problem is there is no ESN # listed. I called Sirius, they ran my VIN and were able to find the Radio ID (ESN) so I should be good. I checked the fuse chart and I do not see anything for just the SAT radio system....unless I missed something. I have seen other forum posts (CLK) where there is a separate fuse. Sirius support gave me 3 free months but it will not link up. They said I I have to tune to channel 184 but when I am on that SAT screen the seek or tune buttons do nothing.

1. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
2. Could a SAT module be fried?
3. Is it still worth it in terms of quality? I dig the stereo but I realize it's a 15 year old car. I just got back from a trip where were drove around and listened to Sirius the whole time. I always forget how great it is and was happy to see my car came with it.

thanks in advance!
Old 09-06-2021, 02:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
2009 E63
I don't bother with SirusXM anymore, but as to 3. it has a lot of content. A decent number of music channels actually have DJs/curators/creators who pick good tracks, bring in good new music, have good interviews, etc. I never found the content to be lacking, the main issue is simply that it's still majority broadcast style, meaning you can't easily just browse new music, go to tracks you like, and so on.

I think they've added OnDemand features with some of their newer receivers and online, so maybe something to consider if the factory unit won't connect correctly. Odds are you can get one pretty cheaply online and get more features while doing so.
Old 09-07-2021, 12:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 146 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
1. If you don't have a siriusXM antenna/module plugged in to your existing system there will be no ESN; do you have anything on top of your car to indicate you have siriusxm antenna such as a magnetic, flat, wired piece?
2. Even if you did, it's useless. There was an update to SiriusXM when Sirius and XM combined where the available channels are simply too much for the w211 COMAND unit to understand. I spent 2 years chasing this with my 2005 E55. Sometimes the system worked fine, but 90% of the time it would fail to either a "searching for signal" state or "can only tune to some channels but not all"

Even if you have all the hardware, it's not worthwhile. SiriusXM has exceeded the w211's hardware limits for a decade.
Old 09-07-2021, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2006 E55 AMG, 2019 BMW M240I xdrive coupe, 1969 Mach 1 Mustang
Originally Posted by Sulaco
1. If you don't have a siriusXM antenna/module plugged in to your existing system there will be no ESN; do you have anything on top of your car to indicate you have siriusxm antenna such as a magnetic, flat, wired piece?
2. Even if you did, it's useless. There was an update to SiriusXM when Sirius and XM combined where the available channels are simply too much for the w211 COMAND unit to understand. I spent 2 years chasing this with my 2005 E55. Sometimes the system worked fine, but 90% of the time it would fail to either a "searching for signal" state or "can only tune to some channels but not all"

Even if you have all the hardware, it's not worthwhile. SiriusXM has exceeded the w211's hardware limits for a decade.
Thank you, this is exactly what I was looking for. I have not checked the antenna but I assume I have it if the car came with the whole system. I just realized there is a Sirius App lol. I already use Tidal and bluetooth in the E55. That was easy
The following users liked this post:
Sulaco (09-07-2021)