W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Wacky Seats and Air Noises

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2021 | 10:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Wacky Seats and Air Noises

Hey guys! So my '06 started "hissing" at me a little while back and I traced the sound to (I think) my passenger seat. I could make the sound sort of come and go by pushing on the "pulse" button. Interestingly I started to notice an air hissing sound coming from behind me as well. Then today my pulse button on the dynamic driver seat started flashing at me when I pushed it and the dynamic seat functions wouldn't activate. Anybody have an idea on what this could be?
Old 09-28-2021 | 11:48 AM

2006 E55 AMG
So... after getting things diagnosed it turns out the dynamic seats have multiple air bags in them and they can develop leaks which in turn requires the compressor to run (constantly). When this happens the compressor/pump usually burns out and fails. Mine is still functioning but the cost to further diagnose and change out the airbags is just crazy so I guess my days of getting the seat massage are over. Dangit!
Old 09-29-2021 | 12:56 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
2004 e500
Behind the seats there are two screws on the bottom area that hold the backing in place. After the screws were removed push the backing downwards and then pull it out you will see airlines and a box that they all lead into. Spray these areas down with soapy water and see if you notice any bubbles develop. If any do that is where the leak is located and it must be fixed. And the airbags are easy to remove and put back in. You can also spray these down and find any leaks. And at least you find can be patched with bicycle tire inner tube patches. Also look at the airlines near the compressor. My airlines near the compressor became hard and brittle and developed cracks and that's where the air was leaking from. I bought some air tubing from home Depot and replaced the damaged section.
Old 10-10-2021 | 05:54 PM

2006 E55 AMG
Thank you so much! Awesome intel.