Sponsored by:

Meet the Speed Sled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
E55
JULY

Turns out the oil leak wasn't a rear main seal (the bellhousing area was totally dry), it was a valve cover. Replaced both valve cover gaskets and resealed the breather covers. Here's hoping she'll stay dry! I think I caught it early enough to prevent oil from getting everywhere underneath the car.

Next item on the list…engine mounts. Looks like one of them has collapsed. Makes the engine sit a little lower than normal. I can see from the records the previous owner gave me that the mounts had last been replaced in 2014. Engine mounts seem to be a maintenance item on this car. Totally worth it though, I do not mind one bit!
I'm going to refrain from driving it until I get the mounts sorted. Won't take me too long to get it handled since this car is so fun to drive.
Old Yesterday, 09:14 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
'06 E55 / '10 GLK 350
Originally Posted by MetalE55
Hi @xGx THANKS!
Nothing new to share lately except:

COMMAND update - My headunit was suffering from a pretty bad, intermittent, really loud *CHIRP* sound every minute or so. It was kind of a bummer since it was something that started happening recently and not for any particular reason at all. In my goal to keep this car 100% original, I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of an aftermarket head unit, so I just dealt with it. But after researching a little bit, I discovered that there are software updates available for the COMMAND unit. The trick was finding them. I located part number 211589162200 and ran the update. FIXED! no more loud random *CHIRP*.

Been attending of car meets lately with it and it gets it's fair share of attention. Really fun to meet and chat with other enthusiasts.
Wow, impressive that an update fixed your COMMAND unit. Must have been a nice feeling.

It's cool to see how even 20 years later, this car is still relevant.

Great job on following up !