Faulty Bosch Remanufactured starter motor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2021, 10:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 CLS55 IWC, 2003 Black E55 designo interior, 2005 White designo E55
Faulty Bosch Remanufactured starter motor

Hey everyone

This is for anyone who searches in the future.

Faulty Bosch Remanufactured starter motor used for around 3 to 5 k miles and over around 1 year.

Purchased from proper retailer, so not a knock off.

Hoping that someone who may look everywhere else in their w211 E55 or other m113 or m112 motors and think that just because they have a recently replaced Bosch starter motor that "surely it's got to be something else".

I went down the route of checking the entire driver authorization from key to starter and engine computer. Was thrown into a totally wrong path because I initially used the MBII handheld scanner that INCORRECTLY SAID THERE WAS A Problem with the Electronic Steering Lock ESL. When I later connected the proper Star Diagnostics I found there was nothing wrong with the ESL EIS SHIFTER LOCKOUT SWITCH, ECU.

It was simply a failed remanufactured starter motor.

There was no noise at all when I tried to start the car, no clicks or any noise from starter. Could hear fuel pumps running and that was already a good hint that the driver authorizeation was working correctly.

Just have someone crank the car while you under the car and using a multimeter to see if 12v is at the smaller terminal (with the 10mm nut). If there is then your car is authorized to start but the starter is not working.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 141 Posts
1999 C43 AMG, 2005 E55 Wagon
Good tip. I got mine from Rockauto who provides a 24 month warranty, unlimited miles. At least I know I'm covered for that long.

Replacing the start is a real fun job when you have aftermarket headers on, by the way...
Old 10-17-2021, 02:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 CLS55 IWC, 2003 Black E55 designo interior, 2005 White designo E55
Starter failure

Well everything you said applies to me, what a coincidence.
I bought it from rock auto and i have long tube headers.

Luckily I was able to maneuvere the starter out without removing it loosening anything.

To be honest they can keep the warranty - I buy Bosh because it should last several years, like the original one

I see Denso makes a starter. May look into that reliability

The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (08-26-2022)