W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Best/Correct Oil Catch Configurations ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2021 | 11:14 AM

07 E350, 08 E63 (totaled), 09 E63 (On the way!)
Best/Correct Oil Catch Configurations ?

Trying to get some insight from other members with oil catch cans and the best/correct oil catch configurations.

I cleaned the intake manifold and installed a catch can about 10k miles ago and tore it it down again last week and still found oil in the intake not as much prior to the catch can install but still some.

1) The set up I had first was: Crankcase -> PCV -> Catch Can -> Intake Manifold.

2) This time I am trying this configuration: Crankcase -> Catch Can -> PCV -> Intake Manifold.

I know you cant 100% stop oil from getting into the intake but after reinstalling everything gave the set-up some thought and tried the second config out.

Would like to hear your opinions!

Old 12-05-2021 | 10:42 AM

07' E63
When I installed a Catch Can on my 2007 E63 NA, I did so while I had the intake manifold off which made the CC hose install significantly easier. I used oediker hose clamps for those fittings where I thought would not need to ever be removed and the typical 8mm wind down hose clamps in those areas like attaching to the PCV, CC etc, where they might need to be removed for whatever reason. I ended up using 1” Heater Hose which fit perfectly around the PCV mount to the Crank Case. That said, I cut off the hose that comes with the PCV itself being careful NOT to cut into the OEM Rubber ring seals on each side of the Mounts to which the hose is mounted to. They are impossible to see, but they are there, so you want to sort of cut it off and then pry it away. This way, you can still use the OEM PCV Mount that attaches both to the Crank Case and the PCV itself. Bear in mind with that heater hose, with it being so thick, it cannot easily go straight to the PCV from the Catch Can as it’s a very tight fit back there as the fire wall is so close. Therefore, I used several 90 degree barbed hose connectors after the one built-into Crank Case Mount that makes a left hand turn and then another to change direction upwards to snake it around the Head to the Catch Can located behind the passenger Head light mounted inside a rubber beer cuzzie and Velcro wrapped to the ABS block. Then the return was around the back side of the ABS to the PCV. You’ll see a photo below of a larger heater hose I previously thought I’d connect to the Crank. This was before I figured using the OEM PCV Mounts was the most intuitive option!

Last edited by E63007; 02-04-2023 at 11:29 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nemiro (12-06-2021)