Sponsored by:

Bucking/jerky from take off at low speed after warm up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2022, 08:45 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
2006 CLS55
Bucking/jerky from take off at low speed after warm up

Have this weird issue from take off. Only happens right after i warm up the car and go. Disappears after ive been driving for a bit. It has a violent bucking/jerky take off. Not sure if its trans related or not.
One thing i tried was the tcu reset and it doesnt happen. but after ive been driving for a few days it comes back. I have checked the gap from blower pulley and its good. Not sure what to make of it. Have any of you experience this type of issue?
Old 02-13-2022, 09:42 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by ta72
Have this weird issue from take off. Only happens right after i warm up the car and go. Disappears after ive been driving for a bit. It has a violent bucking/jerky take off. Not sure if its trans related or not.
One thing i tried was the tcu reset and it doesnt happen. but after ive been driving for a few days it comes back. I have checked the gap from blower pulley and its good. Not sure what to make of it. Have any of you experience this type of issue?
How violent are we talking about?

Could be mount-related, but I would be surprised since it is temperature-variable.
Have you changed your trans and/or diff fluids recently. If not, I would check levels and start there
Old 02-14-2022, 01:55 AM
SPONSOR

Received 797 Likes on 570 Posts
2007 Mercedes E63 AMG
deleted. response was for M156, but OP has M113k

​​​Follow us on instagram @eightysixtuned
https://www.eightysixtuned.com

Last edited by hachiroku; 02-14-2022 at 02:07 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts
95 SL600
Does it happen between gear changes at low speed (around10 mph or so) light throttle only when cold? If so it probably is the TCC solenoid.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:02 AM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
Drive it in manual mode and see if you feel it either while you're in one gear or when you shift. Check trans level, scan TCU for faults, look at TCU wire harness for fluid intrusion.

I agree it could be TCC solenoid, I had mine go bad a few years back with similar symptoms. You'll want to look for codes though as conductor plates can go bad too and the job requires you remove both.

If the engine is running well I'd be less concerned about a tune or vacuum type issue, but if you haven't checked your fuel trims lately I'd do that too.
Old 02-14-2022, 12:45 PM

2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by GinDistiller
Drive it in manual mode and see if you feel it either while you're in one gear or when you shift. Check trans level, scan TCU for faults, look at TCU wire harness for fluid intrusion.

I agree it could be TCC solenoid, I had mine go bad a few years back with similar symptoms. You'll want to look for codes though as conductor plates can go bad too and the job requires you remove both.

If the engine is running well I'd be less concerned about a tune or vacuum type issue, but if you haven't checked your fuel trims lately I'd do that too.
Trans been rebuilt 2 years ago from Sun Valley mercedes transmission.
Old 02-16-2022, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Are you stock? Are you on a clutched pulley? The bucking happens because of the clutch engagement, the temperature should not have an affect on that (I have owned three E55s and all did this; my indy that has been working on AMG cars for decades says it is completely normal and I agree with him).
All V8 Kompressor AMG cars have this happen depending on throttle play. Mine smoothed out a bit with the EuroCharged tune but it is still there, just not as violent as stock.
I am running a clutched 83mm upper. No issues with my stock blower pulley either, it was in excellent shape when removed and the gapping was/is perfect with both stock and 83mm.

Last edited by ArmoE55; 02-16-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:10 PM

2006 CLS55
Originally Posted by ArmoE55
Are you stock? Are you on a clutched pulley? The bucking happens because of the clutch engagement, the temperature should not have an affect on that (I have owned three E55s and all did this; my indy that has been working on AMG cars for decades says it is completely normal and I agree with him).
All V8 Kompressor AMG cars have this happen depending on throttle play. Mine smoothed out a bit with the EuroCharged tune but it is still there, just not as violent as stock.
I am running a clutched 83mm upper. No issues with my stock blower pulley either, it was in excellent shape when removed and the gapping was/is perfect with both stock and 83mm.
My car is not stock. 180 lower and stock upper, 82mm tb and mbh headers. Tcu tune as well.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:18 PM

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
14 E63s AMG, 03 E55 AMG, 13 GL63 AMG, 95 M3
I hate to say it, but I think I experienced this when I had the 82mm TB...I'd try a TB reset (I can't remember but it's something like unplug it, key on, plug it back in and wait etc, search should bring it up). If the TCU (I'm assuming 'sneaky') reset helps it for a short period of time, that can be another indicator since the reset just re-pairs the TB, accelerator inputs, and shift points all together. Watch your fuel trims when it acts up too.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
Originally Posted by ta72
My car is not stock. 180 lower and stock upper, 82mm tb and mbh headers. Tcu tune as well.
Larger TB--- I would definitely start there for diagnosing, as everything you said in your original post now makes more sense. I know many E55 guys that have a nightmares with their TBs while others running smooth as silk. Hit or miss, really.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:18 PM

Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
CLS55
I had a problem with a bluetop shift solenoid. It was very weird though coz only symptom was first cold shift in c mode would delay the shift and then shift mega hard giving big jerk and causing huge supercharger belt slip chirp. All other driving modes would never happen probably coz 2nd to third solenoid and all other shifts would be fine after that first one ****ed. Kinda felt like the solenoid would jam and the pressure build up would help it open the first time and normal operation would last until next cooldown.

So a bad solenoid in the VB could cause your problem as well as conductor plate or other VB related issues.

Did the rebuild include the VB or was it just the box internals?

Don't have experience with TB stayed away coz of the bad press.

Last edited by PieRat; 02-16-2022 at 09:21 PM.