Sponsored by:

Upset? You could say so

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-28-2004, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 AMG
Upset? You could say so

Dropped off my car for its 1,000 mile service early yesterday, as well as having the dealer take out a minor dent on the driver's side C-pillar that looks like it occurred at the factory. My Service advisor called around 4:00PM, saying the car was ready for pickup, but that's when Hurricane Jeanne started to dump torrential rains on the Atlanta area. They had given me an ML500 loaner and given the conditions, I asked to keep it overnight and pick up my car in the morning.

I arrived at the dealer early this morning (still pretty dark), turn in the loaner & request my car. One of the car jockeys brings it around and parks it, drivers side facing me. It's obvious the car spent the night outside - covered with water beads and leaves. I check out the driver's side C-pillar, wiping away the water and the repair looks good. I ask the car jockey to wipe down the fogged up windows, which he does, and drive the 6-7 minutes to work. Park the car in my usual end spot, passenger side next to curb, and go to into the building.

Shortly after noon, I head out to the car, approaching it from the passenger side. I didn't pay that much attention until I was almost next to it, when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. At first I thought it was just some debris behind the passenger side wheel opening - then I see that something had scraped and dented a large portion of the passenger side, from behind the wheel opening to the entire rear passenger door!

I was livid! I drove directly to the dealer and trying to maintain as much composure as possible, explained the situation and showed them the damage. They were understanding, although the thing that swayed them was finding another car that also mysteriously sustained damage at the same time (drivers side rear bumper corner), and when they parked both cars side-by-side, it was apparent that the damage to both matched.

Of course, the first thing they said was "Don't worry, we will make it good as new". I told them, it will NEVER be "good as new". In my experience, body repairs, no matter how good, will always be evident to the practiced eye.
I asked for a new car, but given the circumstances (other than warranty issues), they said they couldn't replace it on the damage basis. However, it appears they are willing to give me enough on a trade in (very little difference from purchase price), to make the swap happen. They're currently looking for a car that meets my specs (a few are available) and in the meantime gave me an S-Class loaner as long as I need it.

My son, who's in the business, offered this advice: always insist that NO ONE DRIVE THE CAR EXCEPT YOUR SERVICE ADVISOR. Damn, what a day.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to vent!

Last edited by Beowulf; 09-29-2004 at 12:01 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 11:59 PM

07 ML63; 05 E55 (sold)
Ouch, man. That is unsettling to say the least. Good luck on getting a new one. Keep us posted.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 M5, 2004 X3 3.0i
I would be demanding some kind of arrangement as well. Not just because of paint issues, but problems selling your car for book vlaue down the road.
Good luck with it.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Damn that sucks. One reason I try my best to keep away from dealer service. They alway scratch something on my car when I take it in. Usually the scuff plates or the speaker grill.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
Very sorry to hear about what happened... I mean, what are the odds of that happening? Hope all turns out well in the end.
Old 09-29-2004, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by MBE55AMG
Very sorry to hear about what happened... I mean, what are the odds of that happening? Hope all turns out well in the end.
Way to not back down...good luck.

MBE55AMG...great sig you got there!!!!
Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM
Banned

'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Man, that really sucks and good thing you caught it when you did! I think that the 2nd most important thing about working at a MB dealer is the fact that when I take my car in for service, I drive it back to the only tech that I will allow to touch my car. He will call me when it is finished and I walk back and pick it up! It is just one less thing that I have to worry about......Like this morning on the way to the gym, a hub cap comes rolling out of no where, right at my car as I am driving. Luckily, there was no one behind me and I slammed on the breaks just in time to hear, CLUNK! I get to the gym, get out to inspect what happened and find only two black rub marks on my bumper and front air dam. It is just enough to **** me off and make me go crazy thinking about it until my detail guy picked it up this morning for the weekly wash. Thank goodness for the new NanoPaint!

Last edited by MarcusBenz; 09-29-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:29 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Thanks guys - really appreciate the support. Still awaiting word on results of car search and final resolution. I'll update as the situation develops.
Old 09-29-2004, 08:45 PM

Sorry to hear about what happened, good luck and try to stay calm it gets very frustrating when dealing with car dealers
Old 10-16-2004, 12:25 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Update: The dealer & I have resolved the replacement car issue. They are giving me one of their December 2004 build allocations (January delivery) and we agreed on a trade-in value for the damaged car that differs very little from the original purchase price. The trade-in amount is guaranteed until the new car is delivered and I get to drive the repaired car until that takes place. I could have kept driving the S-Class loaner, but I'd rather drive my old car.

Specs on the new car:

2005 E55 AMG
Brilliant Silver Metallic w/ Charcoal interior
319 Lighting Package
Comfort Package
Keyless Go
Parktronic
COMAND
CD Changer
Trunk Closer
Rear Sunshade

Also, they will swap my black birdseye maple wood/leather steering wheel to the new car when it arrives (at no charge). Glad things are settled - now have to try and be patient for a bit - no easy task for me!

Last edited by Beowulf; 10-16-2004 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-16-2004, 12:56 PM

Nice Job! Glad to see it was resolved to your satisfaction
Old 10-16-2004, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 CLS55 AMG
Congrats, you have something to look forward to.
Old 10-16-2004, 11:10 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Specs on the new car:

2005 E55 AMG
Brilliant Silver Metallic w/ Charcoal interior
319 Lighting Package
Comfort Package
Keyless Go
Parktronic
COMAND
CD Changer
Trunk Closer
Rear Sunshade

:
Good work...positive persistence pays. Glad you switched to B Silver as I'm not too crazy about pewter (sorry pewter guys no offense). The blackwood is also a big plus glad you can keep it.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:41 AM

Congrats Beowulf you came out with an excellent deal
Old 10-17-2004, 08:00 PM

2005 E55 AMG
I'm just glad to arrive at a settlement. I can't tell you how much sleep I've lost, waiting for this incident to be resolved! Little doubt that us gearheads have a special relationship with our vehicles that the general public won't understand.

Regarding the Brilliant Siver choice over Pewter, I preferred the Brilliant Silver from the start, but the Pewter car was the first one available to me and I took advantage of it. Still like the looks of it. I am an inveterate BLACK car buyer and think the E55 looks best in that color. However, I'm NOT a fan of dealing with all the swirls & scratches that are inevitably part of black car ownership, thus the switch to silver.

I had discounted red as a possibility until I saw Mattar's incoming car, especially with that tan Designo interior.

Last edited by Beowulf; 10-17-2004 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Congrats!!! I totally agree with your comments about the repair..... even though for practiced eyes, the best repair may not be noticeable..... lots of dealers now use paint thickness and matching tools to see whether the car has any previous repair / damage....

But what you've got at the end is the best outcome
Old 10-17-2004, 10:21 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by zoink
Congrats!!! I totally agree with your comments about the repair..... even though for practiced eyes, the best repair may not be noticeable..... lots of dealers now use paint thickness and matching tools to see whether the car has any previous repair / damage....

But what you've got at the end is the best outcome
Interestingly enough, the dealer told me the repaired car would be sold at auction, rather than on the lot, since the entire passenger side required repainting. As much care as I took (including full initial Zaino treatment at 100 miles, with repeated applications every other week), they won't keep it on their lot for re-sale, but I understand.

Any wonder why I wouldn't settle for just a repair?
Old 10-18-2004, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Interestingly enough, the dealer told me the repaired car would be sold at auction, rather than on the lot, since the entire passenger side required repainting. As much care as I took (including full initial Zaino treatment at 100 miles, with repeated applications every other week), they won't keep it on their lot for re-sale, but I understand.

Any wonder why I wouldn't settle for just a repair?
See..... even the dealer believes they could not sell it off their lot.

IMO, never settle for a repair if you have all the cards on your hand.... :p