Sponsored by:

E55 Power Loss after 010 IC Pump Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 05:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
None (Yet)
E55 Power Loss after 010 IC Pump Change

Hi all. Earlier today we went and fitted a new Bosch 010 IC Pump to our E55 as it was experiencing extreme power loss after a few hard pulls. After changing the pump over, we bled the system by running power directly to the pump using a battery and two pins. We ran the pump until we didn't see any bubbles present. (I was not present for this last part, however I was told that the system was ran for approximately 5-10 minutes.)

Regardless, after fitment, we took the car for a drive, allowed it to warm up, and after another pull, again it shut off and lost power, as if we had never changed it at all. Is there any possible cause for what it could be? We would have thought replacing the IC Pump would have been able to solve the issue.
If it helps, after fitting the new pump, we did lose some coolant, and despite the expansion tank looking full, we still had some coolant left over from what was drained. I.e, we drained more than was put back in, despite the tank looking full. Could it also be that there isn't enough coolant, or that we may have still got air somewhere in the system, and that's causing the supercharger to shut down?
Old 04-14-2022, 10:15 PM

Received 143 Likes on 107 Posts
N/A
I would suggest the issue is not the pump if you are sure the new 010 pump was replaced correctly. How long are your pulls and at what temperature outside when you are doing the pulls? How old are the plugs? Premium fuel? Could be a couple of different things?
Old 04-15-2022, 03:22 AM

None (Yet)
Originally Posted by Fountain35
I would suggest the issue is not the pump if you are sure the new 010 pump was replaced correctly. How long are your pulls and at what temperature outside when you are doing the pulls? How old are the plugs? Premium fuel? Could be a couple of different things?
Temperature outside was probably around 14c since it wasn’t particularly cold yesterday evening. Pulls were for about 10 seconds at a time, and the super charger refuses to re engage after letting off and getting back on again. It engages again after about 30 seconds. As for spark plugs, I’m unsure. I do believe they’re only a few thousand miles old since they were changed shortly before we picked the car up. We do use 95 fuel.

Old 04-15-2022, 05:10 AM

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500

You need to run a house like that and block off the intercooler return line with a clamp to bleed the system.

What are your intake air Temps? Maybe the fuse or relay of the pump (located in the rear Sam) are bad.

Last edited by UncleBenz55; 04-15-2022 at 05:12 AM.
Old 04-15-2022, 05:46 AM

None (Yet)
Originally Posted by UncleBenz55

You need to run a house like that and block off the intercooler return line with a clamp to bleed the system.

What are your intake air Temps? Maybe the fuse or relay of the pump (located in the rear Sam) are bad.
We're going to try bleeding the system again today. We know we have some leftover from what was drained yesterday.

As for Intake Temps? Sadly we don't know. I took a look in the rear SAM earlier, saw the Relay in the bottom right, which fuse would be the one for the pump? We have a spare kit of fuses with the car, so we could use one of those
Old 04-15-2022, 06:29 AM

None (Yet)
Okay so...I took a look in the Rear SAM.

Is the IC Pump Fuse in Position #4, with a 15 Amp Fuse? I did a quick search and found someone mentioned that it's present there.

...There was no fuse to be found in Position 4. We did have a spare 15 amp in the trunk.
Old 04-15-2022, 08:46 AM

Received 160 Likes on 98 Posts
W211 E220, W211 E55, W219 CLS 500
I don't have WIS at hand, but it was a 7.5A fuse. Make sure to bleed the system as instructed. Otherwise you won't get the air out.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:52 AM

None (Yet)
We fixed it.

Cause of issue: There was no fuse. Installed Fuse. Pump is now working. Bled the system using the Rear SAM. Car is now happy.
The following users liked this post:
UncleBenz55 (04-15-2022)