Sponsored by:

W211 E55 wont start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 05:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
05 E55 AMG
W211 E55 wont start

My E55 never got the fuel pump service from Mercedes even though an Indy mechanic told me that it was eligible based on the vin. A few days ago, the car was running fine, went into shop for twenty minutes came out and it started idled all wonkey from 1-2k then died. after a few seconds. Wouldn't restart, but would crank over is this typical of the fuel pump failure? I am also thinking to install a CPS for peace of mind. If anyone can recommend a good MB dealer around NYC that will honor my recall I'd be really appreciative.
The following users liked this post:
taralikes (04-23-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:31 PM

05 E55 AMG
I never noticed a fuel smell so I'm leaning toward CPS just ordered one, would really appreciate some outside thoughts on any other issues that would cause these symptoms.
Old 04-27-2022, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 977 Likes on 760 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Too little info to diagnose. Throw a fuel pressure gauge on the schraeder valve on the passenger side front of the engine. Should be approximately 5.1 to 5.3 Bar at all times. Could be Crankshaft Position Sensor, could be Camshaft Position Sensor. STAR is not a miracle worker but can point you in the correct direction. If you do not have a STAR system or equivalent, you are just running with your eyes closed in a dark room at night. Purchase one; it will pay for itself in only three or four uses. Once you have some more data, post it here and we can assist.

Also, you will not get the "fuel pump service", AKA "fuel tank replacement", unless you have the fuel tank/system fail. Multiple, multiple posts on this subject. You've been onboard for over two years and have not spent time exploring the site and learning about the quirks that affect our E55s...Advance Search upper right is your friend. You'll learn a lot; sort of like studying for finals in school.
The following users liked this post:
NYCDiesel (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 01:09 AM

05 E55 AMG
Thanks for your help, it was searching from I learned of the CPS but will dig further.