Sponsored by:

E63 Fuel Level Sender Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
E63 Fuel Level Sender Issue

I've got the dead fuel gauge issue others have had before. I have a third party code scanner, and when I scanned, I got a Passenger Side Sensor Circuit Open. So naturally I replaced the fuel pump buckets and sender. When I started the car after that, the gauge was still dead. I drove the car to work (I had a nearly full tank). When I hit 35 miles, all of a sudden, the gauge started working again - for about 20 miles. Then the range started to fall rapidly (as in watching it drop 10 miles every 5 seconds while sitting at a stop light) until the gauge went dead again. I got home and scanned the car again and got the same codes. Knowing I'd just replaced the assembly, I went and looked at the raw values on the sensor inputs to the module, and I'm seeing the Driver's Side is actually the dead side. However, when I look up the part number for the assembly, I keep only seeing the number that refers to the Passenger Side dual pump bucket assembly, not the Driver's side with the sender and tank pressure sensor.

I also just saw something about the tank warranty. Does this cover everything associated with the tank, pump and sender system? If so, what limitations exist (other than the 15 years - mine is a 2008)?
Old 06-09-2022, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 968 Likes on 752 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
The float on the passenger side which is mounted on the fuel pumps is connected in parallel to the float on the driver side which is the filter/regulator. So, you might have a bad connection with the wires were they attached to the filter/regulator or at the connector on top of the plastic top hat under the lid. Could be an intermittent connection on the pin and socket or a broken wire or a shorted wire in that location. Be sure to inspect where the metal lid clamps down because it may be it has compressed the harness and shorted the wires.
Go to mbepc.net, enter your VIN, and in the description of your car at the top click on the hot link and it will take you to the parts list for your car. In my case the description indicates my car is a w-211. 076.

Last edited by bbirdwell; 06-09-2022 at 02:25 PM.