Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Chirp. Please Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 02:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Engine Chirp. Please Help!

I am bringing my car in for service next week and want to do something about that Annoying Engine Chirp. Do the dealers have a fix for this yet, and if not, how can i get rid of the Noise ?? Everytime I drive the car, I seem to pay more attention to it and get even more annoyed.
I'm also having them change the Voice Module in the Car, because the signal for the phone and tele aid keeps going in and out and Very,Very Static.
Anyone else Experiencing Any of these problems.
Any information would be Greatly Appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I had the chirp, but I cant remember what the dealer did to get rid of it. But I did change the water pump for the supercharger as this might have also helped to alleviate the chirp. The new pump is more efficient and moves the water much better than the stock pump. It is made by Kleeman. I would check it out. If I find my service invoice I will let you know what they did exactly.
Old 10-13-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 335 vert, 2004 MDX
Do a search of the forum. There's some kind of anti-slip spray you use on the clutch for the supercharger.
Old 10-13-2004, 05:32 PM

2004 E55 tectite grey/charcoal
The chirp is well known. Do a search. It is from the supercharger clutch. It is considered normal by MB. There is a fix published on this forum.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
The chirp is on every amg kompressor car ever made. People claim to never hear it but I have been in 2 such cars and I can hear the chirp in both. There is NO solution to the issue and if the dealership says it can be fixed the solution is only a temporary item. The car is quiet durring the first 2k miles then it starts to chirp. If you replace the belt it will quiet down but it comes right back. I have a SL55 and an E55 and both chirp. My C32 chirped and every amg car I have driven with a Kompressor chirps. Just get used to it. Its not going away.

If a surge of making hte motor turn the kompressor when the blower engages will always make a rubber belt chirp.
Old 10-13-2004, 08:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cyn is right. I have 2 W211's and my friend has a CL55 and both cars chirp. It's common in all AMG's and personally, I dont mind it. Just turn up your radio if you have to whenever you're accelerating somewhat quickly. I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32 AMG
There is a solution that I have tried on two E55s and my C32 so far.

Kompressor clutch needs to be taken apart and both surfaces cleaned and made true again by using a "wizzy wheel" that designed to be used on the brake rotors to help pads seat-in.

So far it worked very well, no chirp. Now it could be that this procedure needs to be done periodiacally as a maintenance item. Only time will tell.

I will try and post some pictures shortly. It takes about two hours to get it done right.
Old 10-14-2004, 02:27 AM

Smile Thanks for the Feedback.

Old 10-14-2004, 05:48 AM
D-5

2003 E55
One of the member posted this a while ago:

"Supercharger “Chirp”
There is a very easy fix for this problem.. its a known problem for all of the V8 superchargers.. (211 and 230).. the fix that our dealership has found is that we put friction compound in between the clucth and the supercharger.. very easy to do.. and we've had customers that has gone 6 months now with no problems. what we do is use a feeler guage and just apply small amounts of the compound beteween the cluch of the supercharger in four spots.. and drive it.. you will notice the chirp to be gone almost instantly"
Old 10-14-2004, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
see all these things are just ways to make the sound go away but in all cases it comes back regardless of method. Now we could all keep everything 100% clean and have all the right stuff on the pullies and belts but in the end it will still chirp when it feels like. I just deal with it. Its no big deal. Hit the gas, chirp, then you go... was that so bad?
Old 10-14-2004, 10:10 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Just curious, do all other (non MB) belt driven supercharged engines have the "chirp" ?
Old 11-19-2004, 01:16 AM

SL55
Three known "chirp" fixes

My new '04 SL55 developed the "chirp" around 4K miles. From everything I've read on several different Mercedes forums the "chirp" noise comes from the supercharger clutch itself when the supercharger engages between 1500 and 2000 rpm and most noticeable when lightly accelerating. The noise does NOT come from the rubber belts slipping on the supercharger's pully. Rather the noise comes from the supercharger's clutch faces rubbing each other during that fraction of a second it takes the supercharger to fully engage (i.e. spin up to speed). As other AMG owners have also reported, replacing the belts on my SL55 did nothing for the chirp noise, proving it was not the belts. Some people believe all Mercedes AMG (i.e. supercharged) engines develop the chirp sound while others say only some AMG engines have the chirp. My dealership thinks my SL55 chirp was unusually loud.

I've seen three different "fixes" which eliminates the chirp. My SL55 received fix "A" and "C" (see below) from my dealer silmutaneously. And it no longer chirps -- a VERY welcome relief. I've outlined each of the methods below. Methods "A" and "B" can be easily applied by the owner. Although none of the methods are advertised to be a permanent fix, it is rumored that Mercedes is working on a permanent fix (e.g teflon coated clutch face).

You should not have to live with the "chirp".

M E T H O D "A".
Least expensive and very quick fix (i.e. takes only 5 minutes) is to apply several drops of "Stop Squeal" to the supercharger clutch surface. "Stop Squeal" is made by BG Products Inc. in Wichita, Kansas. It is a mixture of graphite and alcohol. It is sold at some automotive stores including Pep Boys. It comes in small bottle (just a few ounces) for about $8. One bottle should last a long time since only few drops are needed per application. One application is supposed to last for 2.5K to 5K miles. It is best applied to a warm engine and wait for 5 minutes to allow the alcohol to dry before starting the engine. Otherwise the graphite will just get spun off with the wet alcohol.

I'm repeating three forum messages authored by "TexE55AMG" below that provides adequate informaiton for appying the "Stop Squeal" yourself:

04-30-2004, 11:13 AM
TexE55AMG
Supercharger Chirp Fix!
Hi everyone.....I am a new member to this board and this is my very first post. I picked up my new 04 E55 a couple of months ago and all I have to say is WOW! The car is awesome....It is just as fast as one of my previous cars (442 rwhp MTI Z06 Vette).

That being said the supercharger chirp was bugging the heck out of me. But that is in the past.....I was made aware of a great fix and it works!

Step #1 - Pop off supercharger shroud

Step #2 - Using a feeler gauge drip in Stop Squeal (graphite suspended in alcohol). This product is available at most auto parts stores and is normally used for brake squeal.

Step #3 - Pop supercharger shroud back on and drive!

The chirp is gone!!!!!!

I now enjoy my car 100%

=================================
How is the Stop Squeal applied?
04-30-2004, 07:05 PM
TexE55AMG
Slide the feeler gauge in the gap that seperates the blower from the pulley. You can find this gap by hand spinning the supercharger. You will note that the front section does not spin when the electromagnetic clutch is not engaged (that is the section connected to the pulley and belt). It sounds confusing but is really easy to see.

After you slide the feeler gauge in the gap, drip the stop squeal liquid (a few drops will do) and hand spin the supercharger 1/4 turn. Repeat process 4 times as to get a decent application of stop squeal between the clutch plates.

It helps to do this when the car is warm so the liquid flash dries quickly.

The whole process will take you approx. 5 mins.

Good luck!

05-01-2004, 10:17 AM
TexE55AMG

Vehicle I drive: 2004 E55 AMG
There is no downside to this fix (no slippage etc.). The fix lasts approx. 2,500 - 5,000 miles before reapplication is needed. One tech I talked to said that the mileage interval can be extended if you take off the front clutch plate to ensure a full and even application of the stop squeal.

One other tech had mentioned a long term fix was going to be tested. They are going to experiment with having the clutch plates impregnated with teflon.

Please note the electromagnetic clutch on the supercharger has a very high clamp force. The graphite does NOT cause slippage of the supercharger. It simply acts as a buffer that prevents raw metal to metal squeal upon engagement.

I know that Mercedes does not have a problem with this fix.

It will not void your warranty.

M E T H O D "B".
Reported by a Mercedes Technician, use very fine valve grinding compound instead of "Stop Squeal". You still use a feeler guage to spread the compound between the clutch plates. He says this fix will lasts longer the "Stop Squeal". See the following two URL's for further information on applying the grinding compound.

HTTP://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums...sp?tid=1183052
HTTP://forums.mbnz.org/forums/forums...sp?tid=1169869

M E T H O D "C".
This fix involves disassembling the supercharger clutch by the Mercedes technician and deglazing the clutch faces. I've seen other wording such as "lightly sanding" the clutch faces.

Last edited by viper2; 11-19-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 06:51 AM

2005 E55 AMG
I haven't encountered the chirp (yet), but this info will be filed for future reference. Thanks for sharing!
Old 11-20-2004, 09:03 PM

S500 2002
The MB dealer I purchased my 2004 E55 fixed the "chirp". Cary, North Carolina. Speak with Mark. He told me MB knows about it and has a standard fix. I have 24K on my one year old E55 and it doesn't chirp anymore even with 1000s of miles after the "fix".

Very happy with MB service...

By the way, I still can't get the new M5. My Masserati Coupe still beats it here in the US. ;->