Sponsored by:

Rear defrost only working on half. Can it be fixed? Pics included

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 09:10 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
00' W210 E55 (sold), 07' W211 E63
Rear defrost only working on half. Can it be fixed? Pics included

Hey all. So I just had tint removed yesterday. He used a steamer. It just so happened that we got some frost this morning in my area. I noticed that the defroster is only working on the bottom half of window (see link for pics). It's obvious to me that the tint guy damaged one or more of the lines (which I feared). He is coming back today to install tint and I plan to bring it to his attention in person. My question to you all is: Can these things safely be repaired or will the glass need to be replaced? I assume it will need to be replaced but I wanted to ask because I know there are repair methods of sorts and I anticipate that he may present that as an option. He said he was insured and I stressed multiple times that I was worried about damage and he acknowledged. Accidents happen as these things are so delicate. I hope he is cool about it.

Lastly, any ballpark idea on what OE glass replacement cost is?

Thanks for the help!

https://imgur.com/gallery/AuOhTFz
Old 10-27-2022, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Any time I've had rear tint removed the installer was sure to tell me he's not responsible. It's near impossible to avoid damaging the grid lines, they are metallic and they do corrode and crumble apart.... especially on a 16+ year old car.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 125 Likes on 95 Posts
2006 E55
I have this issue as well but my problem is mainly that it takes longer than it should to defrost unlike newer cars - and it's not because of tint. It's just that these cars are old now and these types of problems always pop up after years and years of usage.